A hundredth birthday night drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A hundredth birthday night drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 11:22 pm:

My roadster's serial number dates it to Thursday, June 17, 1915. After a couple of trips to town in the car today, this evening I made a little video. As you can see, kerosene side lights and tail lights don't want to stay lit when the car moves.

https://youtu.be/GSFFdVUHEYU,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, June 17, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

Very cool Steve, that's something you don't see everyday....Happy Birthday!. Steve, are you actually using kerosene in your lights?, i use Medallion clear lamp oil in mine, and they seem to stay lit without a problem, give it a try and see if it helps...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 05:59 am:

Steve, thats odd, my driver side will stay
on all the time, the pass side goes out. I
tried everything nope just won't stay lit.
Using store lamp oil. ????????

sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:52 am:

Yes, that is an issue with 1915 cowl lamps. Mine usually blow out at 5 - 10 MPH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:58 am:

It plain old kerosene. I suspect the problem is the lamps, not the fuel, but I'll try the lamp oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:10 am:

One thing that might help is to put a strip of foam tape to make a gasket inside the lamp front door jamb so when it is closed there is no air buffeting the flame.

The air for the flame comes in the little ring of holes at the top of the lamp, passing the inside chimney, through the double wall to the wick. As the inside chimney heats up the air, the flame burns brighter and that is where I leave the wicks set.

I can run any of several different sets of the square side and tail lamps on a '14 and they have absolutely no problem staying lit at 35+ mph burning regular kerosene. I am interested in what y'all come up with. The cars look really neat lit up.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:22 am:

Since one blew out and the other didn't, perhaps a detailed visual examination of the two will reveal a missing part or slight geometry difference on the one that blew out that can be fixed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

I thought you always blew out the candles on your birthday.

Nice video Steve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

I had a problem where both would light up for a short time but, one would flicker wildly and go out, even while parked. I got new wicks, the year correct ones from Schneider's. Now both stay lit at any speed. I use kerosene.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration