Help Needed in Chicago With a Firetruck

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Help Needed in Chicago With a Firetruck
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 06:49 am:

I got an email and phone call from this lady looking for help disassembling a Model T Fire truck in downtown Chicago so they can have a Moving Company take it out of the building and move it to a warehouse where it needs to be reassembled.

It sounds like a fun project if it was closer to me and our club. I'm hoping someone closer can get involved and help there people out. The email is attached below. If you make arrangements to help. please update this thread. Thanks

kristin.nelder@ffic.com

Jun 17 at 3:18 PM

Tokxedmond@yahoo.com

Hi Kenny,

I am contacting you with a challenge. The company I work for has a beautiful Model T fire truck in its lobby on the 12th floor of a downtown Chicago office. We are donating this truck and I am looking for a Model T expert to dismantle it so it can be brought down the elevator, then reassembled in their shop. We will have a mover lined up to help remove it from the building and transport the pieces, but I am hoping that you might have connections to a mechanic that can do the specialized work of taking it apart and putting it back together.

Here is a gallery link to some photos of the truck when it was assembled in 2003:

http://firemansfund.smugmug.com/1FFIC/Chicago-Office-Firetruck/49982350_dFQn9B
password: Antique

Perhaps someone in the Indy 500 Chapter can do the work. I would very much like to discuss the project with you. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience.

Many thanks, I look forward to speaking with you!

Kristin

Kristin Nelder
North America Brand - Multimedia
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty®

777 San Marin Drive
Novato, CA 94998
USA

Direct: +1.415.899.5549
Mobile: +1.415.810.0312
Email: Kristin.Nelder@ffic.com
www.agcs.allianz.com

Please consider the environment before printing this email and attachments

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 12:52 pm:

Fireman's Fund has gone through major restructuring - their parent company, Allianz SE in Munich, sold the personal lines and are rolling the commercial property and casualty lines into Allianz Global Corporate Speciality.

I used to work for Allianz Life at the Minneapolis headquarters.

As far as I know, Fireman's Fund has at least three Model T firetrucks - one in their corporate headquarters in Novato, CA (which they display in the building and use in parades), Chicago mentioned above and Atlanta. In 2007 when I was still at Allianz, I corresponded with the employee who was in charge of moving the firetruck into Fireman's Fund Atlanta office - he needed someone to disassemble and then re-assemble. He posted on one of the forums and ended up hiring someone from the club who was actually flown in to do the job. Eventually, it was written up in one of the national club magazines - MTFCA or MTFCI.

From my days of yore at Allianz - bring your Model T Ford to work and leave an oil spot on the sidewalk day…..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ex trooper on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 06:41 am:

Spoke briefly with Kristin last night. She sent me a dozen pics of the original "assembly" done in the 80's. Personally, at the 12th floor, I'd rent a crane and hoist it down, but that area is pretty tight traffic wise. Check the link she provided. The password is "Antique" with a capital "A". The truck is being donated and looks pretty nice. Hope all the parts are there and not just built as a static example. ws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Memmelaar Jr on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 06:52 am:

Contact Chris Paulsen at McPherson College, this looks like a good student project

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 04:40 pm:

I guess they could block the street just as they would if replacing an AC or such on the roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 04:54 pm:

Why don't they just drive it down the stairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:34 am:

Correct me if I am wrong here - but this business is soliciting for a skilled mechanic or mechanic(s) to dis-assemble this firetruck that this business is keeping ?

Seems logical that the mechanic(s) that do the dis-assembly also do the re-assembly.

This is best handled by another business.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 07:34 am:

I've been working with Kristin on this project since I posted the original post. She wants an "insured" Company to handle the disassembly of the truck and her Company will have it moved and then it needs reassembled.

I thought it would be a fun project for a local club to handle, but once her company raised the "insured" aspect, that changed the game.

I'm Vice President of Service Operations for a Heavy Duty truck parts and repair company that fits all the criteria that Kristin is looking for. So I'm putting together an estimate for them and I've got to get my Companies principal owners to sign off on this project as well.

The Fire Truck is going to be donated after reassembly. I suggested the MTFCA Museum in Richmond, but they also want to look at possible Fire related museums.

I'll update as things progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 07:39 am:

A little more information on that fire truck would be great.

Do you know the year of manufacture or what company made the truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:26 am:

Kenny,

Sounds great - hope you get the job !

Have you met Barbara & Jay at the museum ?

Did you get to go to the Homecoming this year ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

James, I am trying to get the back ground on the origins of the Fire Truck.

Jim, I was at homecoming and had 3 swap meet spaces and was there last year and in 2008.

Our club is about 70Mi. from Richmond, so yes we all know each other. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration