Heading to 2015 Montana 500

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Heading to 2015 Montana 500
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:34 am:

Folks are heading to the 2015 Montana 500 in White Sulphur Springs. :-)t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Two extremes of model T trailering!
Have fun guys!
Do drive carefully, and really enjoy the whole event! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 01:10 pm:

Hey Tom, Looks like that Pink one is Drafting a bit too close... Good Luck to you all and be careful.
You should show a pic of the T trailer setup for towing. Some here may be interested.

Enjoy the donation of goodies from Mothers Polishes and Waxes. Someone said a slick wax job will make a car go faster but Garrett may not agree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 01:11 pm:

I am much and many jealous!!!!!!!!

Be_Zero_Be in Leesburg, VA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 03:04 pm:

I see you're towing with the tops up. No concerns about wind damage on the freeway? We'll be leaving for White Sulphur Springs on Sunday morning for the tour. I've never hauled with a top, just wondering. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Pat, They're driving the same speed when racing - at least downhill - so the tops are already speed tested :-)

Good luck with the race! (wish I could be there..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Good Luck!

Race Safely!

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

What happened to the car on the right? It looks like the springs were stolen . . .

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson Absaroka County on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

It has the Being Towed package installed.

Quite ingenious if you ask me.

Kirk
Granada Hills, California

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Paul, That tow system is something you might really be interested in. I have seen it but can't remember enough details to tell you. Maybe Tom will post a little more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Thanks for the good thoughts folks. Thanks to Mothers and Gene for the goodies.

Roger is right, our tow speed and trailer speed is not that much different. I tow my T with the top up all of the time. There is also less drag with the top up for better towing gas mileage.

Here is a link to the Montana 500 article on tow wheels. Some of the guys call them "tiny tires".

http://www.antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/may2004/index.html#2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

I meant to say: "our tow speed and trailer speed is not that much different from our driving speed"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

I was not able to understand the Being Towed package. It sounds like you remove the Model T wheels and make a set of new wheel plates for the new compact spare tires? Can you post a few more pics showing a side view? What about the tow bar? How do you do that without marring the front axle?

Gene is quite right, now that my flivver is becoming a tour car I'm starting to think of towing it behind the '99 Dodge Intrepid that already has a hitch. A small trailer of some sort might work or possibly the setup shown here . . .

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 03:38 pm:

Last year's Montana 500 thread had similar questions. Here is link to it.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/452234.html?1405036083

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Thanks Tom, that link and the link connected to that show the set-up pretty well. The cars in the pictures all have wires, it might not work as well with wood wheels . . .

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson Absaroka County on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

Paul doing a bit of research I found this website but I'm not sure how much the trailer cost

www.bestbuydealer.com

the website is a little unsophisticated and busy

But page down till you see the Smart trailer

I would love to find a tandem axle trailer that only weighed about 900 pounds and cost less than 2500

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 05:24 pm:

Being in Montana sounds real good right about now. Alas, ...
back to work. :-P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Being in Montana sounds real good right about now. Alas, ...
back to work. :-P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Whoops ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Considering how hot it is going to be in Nebraska, maybe I should take a right turn and head for Montana. Even had the furnace kick on this AM here in Milwaukee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Thanks Kirk, some of these trailers do look like they might be good for a Model T but that website is TERRIBLE! It says click for further info and prices and nothing I tried gave any further info.

It has been a while since I read the manual for the Intrepid to see how much it will tow. The '23 Runabout with battery, generator & starter probably weighs something like 1500 lbs wet so a trailer would need to be very light.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson Absaroka County on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 01:54 pm:

Paul

The web site is worse than terrible.
I think the steel trailer weighs about 700 lbs.
Here is an Omaha phone number 402-331-0854.

Also you may be able to have someone in Orange County or LA make you one similar and cheaper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

Yes, a used trailer would be even better. They do come up from time to time.

Vintage Paul

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration