What kind of gasket goes on the drive shaft to pumpkin attachment?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What kind of gasket goes on the drive shaft to pumpkin attachment?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:38 pm:

what kind of gasket goes on the drive shaft to pumpkin attachment?

I got the driver shaft apart and decided to put it back on and drive it as is since it has been driving fine.

But what goes between the metal part of the drive shaft and pumpkin?

I have to put the cotter pin back in. The drive shaft nut appears to be wedged against the gear. I could not unscrew it so I decided to leave it alone.

Thank you in advance. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

No gasket. A gasket there is used as a shim to adjust pinion clearance. You do need to look in there to see if you can see babbit or bronze thrust washers. Please don't put it back together with babbit washers. They will fail. If they do, you lose your transmission brake. It happens without warning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Just smear a little grease on that surface.It won't leak,much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:38 pm:

Just finished mine using this with no gasket:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Bruce, I was intrigued by the gear oil RTV sealant.It would be interesting to know how/why it is different from others, or is it just a case of selling another product to get more money from us.

There was a recent expose' here on painkillers targeting specific areas, back pain, headache, joint pain etc. All had the same painkilling ingredient at the same levels and were subject to scrutiny which revealed no difference in effect.
Mr. Neurofen was caught out!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Allan, in the USA the Justice Department or the Federal Trade Commission sometimes come down on bogus advertising like that. I love it when the guilty outfit issues a statement that says, in essence, "We did nothing wrong, and we promise we'll never do it again."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:49 pm:

Bruce, I was intrigued by the gear oil RTV sealant.It would be interesting to know how/why it is different from others, or is it just a case of selling another product to get more money from us.

There was a recent expose' here on painkillers targeting specific areas, back pain, headache, joint pain etc. All had the same painkilling ingredient at the same levels and were subject to scrutiny which revealed no difference in effect.
Mr. Neurofen was caught out!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Beatty _Kansas City on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:05 am:

I think that must be a record for the longest elapsed time between the infamous "double post" quirk that this forum has! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 07:05 am:

Hello Bob:
So what is the prognosis with the pin alignment? When I saw this, I assumed you could machine length off the shaft housing or off the head forging, and reassemble, assuming gear engagement was acceptable.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:01 am:

I have a pile of drive shafts scavanged from various scrap piles and a few of them measure differently from one that I just pulled out of a torque tube. Did the length of the drive shafts or the location of the pin change over the years or are the odd ones just after market shafts that are made wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Spainhower - Portland, Oregon on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 11:57 am:

Allan, I've noticed that every time I go to auto parts store, it seems that Permatex has another couple of variations on their gasket-makers. I wouldn't doubt that the marketing department has more to do with it than the engineering department. I just needed more than one tube since I was doing the whole car, so I got one Ultra-Black (recommended by a number of people), and one gear oil. They were both priced about the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

I was also intrigued by the Gear Oil variance since I'm a big promoter of the Ultra Black as the best ever made sealer / adhesive on the market. I do know that the Ultra Black works fine sealing gear oil. Maybe someone will ask Permatex what the difference is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Poane on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

I decided to take the shaft and rear to a friend 2 1/2 hours away. I will update you later as to how we get the pin out of the misaligned u joint.

Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration