Broken Starter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Broken Starter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Ogden on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Went to start my Model T today and as it was turning over the starter made a crashing sound and now when I hit the starter it just spins out and I can hear a rattling sound in it. Any idea what happened and how I can fix it? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Bendix drive sleeve or spring broke or retaining bolt/s sheared off. Pull of the Bendix drive cover off and take a peek.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

The good news is that your starter is probably fine, but it sounds like the Bendix spring or something else in the Bendix is broken. Remove the Bendix cover and take a look.
Don't lose the Bendix cover screws, they are an oddball size that is hard to find.

If for some reason you decide you need to remove the starter, be sure to disconnect the battery negative cable and remove the Bendix first!

Here is an earlier thread on the subject, let us know what you find.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/358616.html?1379953003

bendix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Hi Jared,

Sorry to read of your difficulty....hope that the problem is easily solved.

I'm curious to know what your battery voltage is - 6, 8 or perhaps 12?

Thanks.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:31 am:

Also always remember to retard the spark before starting! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:06 am:

The cover screws are 35 from Lang's. I didn't look, but I assume most of the other dealers have them too. You won't find that odd size locally, so losing any of them will cost you shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:12 am:

Isn't there a metric screw that is close to that size that will do in a pinch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:20 am:

The 6mm is the closest, but no cigar :-(

The threads will enter about 1/2" inch before binding. So they 'seem' tight, but can back out.

Best to use the Ford #14-24 screws for the Bendix cover, and add tiny lock washers under the heads. Lost of cover or gap with a loose cover, and all engine oil will be lost too, ...too much major damage to risk to metric!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:27 am:

Dan,

What substance/material is that between the Bendix cover & hogshead?

A pre-formed gasket, or some sort of RTV sealant?

Thanks,

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:19 am:

Jared, Sounds like you were using 12 Volts. The Model T starter does not like 12 Volts. The starting power goes up by the square of the voltage so you have four times more cranking power with 12 Volts. You are beating the starter to death. Stick with 6 Volts. As long as you have the correct size and length battery cables and good clean connections 6 Volts works just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Dave

Correct, the red stuff is Permatex High-Temp RTV, its red in color. Spread over the paper gasket...
just what I had around. Like regular Permatex better, as the silicone RTV can shed and you find pieces in the oil screen.

A dab of sealer is nice on that gasket, you sure don't want leaks at the Bendix cover.... :-)

Bits of blue silicone on this spring, likely got on there when the cover was dripping with silicone sealer and the cover edge hit the spring. This was on the engine when I took it apart. Found more bits of blue silicon throughout that motor....ugh...don't like silicone much

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration