Rip Van Winkle Ford has a new home

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Rip Van Winkle Ford has a new home
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 09:54 pm:

Today the Rip Van Winkle arrived at its new home at Ames Performance Engineering in spofford, NH. The new owner is Steve Ames. He has a large climate controlled museum, rip will be displayed in the entrance to the museum on its hand made wood stands is it was in 1917. This is Steve's first model T, he is very excited about owning this car and it will be a great addition to his collection of low mileage original cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:28 pm:

Kim,

What you did to save this Model T from obscurity is something most folks have no idea of ....

You spent well over a year on helping find a new caretaker for it - little fiscal profit gained in the process ...

For what it is worth - you have my profound respect

You are a good man doing good deeds in your own community and good deeds for the Model T Community ....

Thank You Sir

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

Very good news. This is exactly where this text book T should be. With any luck at all someday I'll be able to see it in person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 02:23 am:

Thanks Jim, and thanks to Don Lang. He was the one who suggested Steve Ames as a potential buyer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 04:43 am:

An insight into Steve Ames:

From an interview with Hemmings .....

@ http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/steve-ames/

HD: What do you hope to achieve through your collection?

SA: We have initiated the difficult task of securing a trust for the collection to ensure that it endures long after we’re gone.

The application process requires a mission statement.

This is a condensed version of what we provided: “The mission of our trust is to purchase and preserve very low-mileage original, untouched automobiles.

These automobiles will illustrate the creativity and craftsmanship of our forefathers and ancestors.”

It’s a collection, not a museum, but people will be able to come to see it, eventually. -

See more at: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/steve-ames/#sthash.oGNcrD8m.dpuf

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:47 am:

Wow! That is almost in my back yard!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:52 am:

My old stomping grounds too. Sadly, won't ever get to see the RVW, T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:00 am:

I checked their web site and there is no mention of the "Museum". Is it private? by appointment? or ????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:02 am:

Pretty much "by appointment only" from what I understand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:23 am:

I have one of the first copies of the book where the car was presented....and, like everyone else, I was astonished. An unmolested 1917 T just as it was built, with no questions about whether parts had been added or removed over the years!

The car is being preserved in the correct way, as a laboratory for all T fans and historians. In other words, it should settle a LOT of arguments! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Kim -- that is good news -- it should do well into the foreseeable future.

George -- it is an amazing "time capsule" but it also offers some additional questions. For example the photos below show that it had a "double wishbone" setup on the front axle.

Above the Rip Van Winkle Ford from page 23 of the Sep-Oct 1978 "Vintage Ford" used by permission. Note the double wishbone set up.

Below is also of the Rip Van Winkle Ford from page 38 May-Jun 1991 "Vintage Ford" used by permission.

On page 279 of Bruce McCalley's (RIP) book as well as his CD Bruce commented about a similar double wishbone set up found on a July 1919 closed car. He said, "The accessory brace has been seen on many Fords from 1917 to 1919 adn could have been a Ford-supplied item."

Clearly it came from the dealer with the double wishbone as well as the accessory speedometer. But I wonder if it came from the dealer or the factory with the accessory double wishbone set up?

One more item to look for in the future.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

My 1919 Runabout has a double wishbone just like that. I have a single one and was going to change it but, now that I see this car, I think I will leave the double one in place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 10:48 pm:

Ha Ha eat your hearts out.
NH is where it.
At least it is where the Rip va Winkle is. :-)

The New Holly is a NH.
What more can I say??

I live in NH and proudly proclaim that I will "Live free or Die"
And I like tea!

I do not like Ben and Jerry's ice cream because it's politics taste funny

OK I will get off my soap box and spend more time on my Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Fred,

I love your state & your motto .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 11:01 pm:

Fred-

I have often thought of your State Motto, especially when printed on your license plates...

Which make me want to know... do the incarcerated felons in your state still make those plate?

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:15 am:

Keith,

The State Of Maine has a very cool retail store where you can buy inmate created products ... :-)

I have stopped there several times ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:16 am:

Keith,

Yes.

And it is a job highly sought after by the inmates. Good duty, and pays well - I think $.50 per hour.

(No, I am not, nor ever was a privileged resident) - our club had a tour of the facility a few years ago. Quite interesting set up.

Jim,

NH has a retail outlet also. Some of the residents are extremely talented and produce very nice items. (Store is across the street from the "residences").

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:56 am:

I was privileged to see Rip in Kim's warehouse the day before it was picked up. The most impressive thing to me is the overall quality of the Model T as it was delivered by Ford.

The car has 199 miles on it now. Still a nearly new Model T. Kim has sent the car to a great home where the car can be enjoyed by many.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian lawrence on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Great picture, a Model T and a dirtbike! Looks to be a KTM. Kim, do you ride?

Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason, Whittier, CA on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

And a Beetle. 1966???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

67 beetle I think, judging by the license plate light and what look like back up lights on the bumper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

The bug is a very early 1966, 70,000 miles, still drives like a new car. Yes, Brian that's a KTM. It belong to a friend who enjoys the free storage. I don't ride much any more, mostly play with old cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

By any chance did anyone notice the body letter or body number on the Rip Van Winkle Ford? In the photographs I can see there is a body number, but so far I have never been able to read what the number is in the photos I have been looking at so far. Below is the best or at least representative of the best photo I have of that number:

Also I don't know if there is or is not a body letter on the front seat heel panel.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:04 pm:

The body has a "B" on the heel panel with a hole drilled through it. Lots of runs in the paint can be seen here:

I have a picture of the body serial number which is on the floorboard riser like all 1916 - 22 bodies with the rivet in the seat frame behind the front door. Will try to dig it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:09 pm:

Kim Dobbins photo:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 12:50 am:

I am not sure about the source of the NH license plates but I know that the NH liqueur stores have the best prices in New England because of the number of people we see from Maine ( aka Mainacs) and Mass ( aka Massholes) .

The only "normal" people in New England are from NH the rest need professional help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

For Royce,

Thank you so much for posting the additional body letter and body number. The “B” and the “6 dot 17 dot xxxxx: body number indicate Beaudett (also spelled Beaudette and usually refered to as Pontiac in Ford USA documentation) produced the body in Jun 1917.

From page 27 of the May-Jun 1991 “Vintage Ford” Bruce (RIP) reported:

“The engine had a casting date of 6-l-17, and its
serial number was 1,994,162 - assembled June 12,
1917.”

Note the engine serial number is listed in the Jun 12, 1917 ledger serial number range. There is also a possibility that the serial number was shipped to a branch assembly plant and stamped on an engine assembled at the branch at a later date. Ref page 501 Bruce McCalley “Model T Ford.” –

A Jun 1917 engine with a Jun 1917 body is a logical combination (as well as one with the body within a couple of months of the engine log entry).

For Dave,

From page 28 of the same “Vintage Ford” [used by premission] it has:

“Taking a quick look under the car, the first
thing we noticed was an “accessory” front radius
rod reinforcement for the front axle. We asked Mr.
Princeton about it and he said that as he
remembered it, Ford offered these as factory installed
modifications beginning in some part of
1917, and that the modification kits were offered to
the dealers for $5.00 for installation on earlier cars.
We have never run across such information in our
research but climbed under the car to take a closer
look at the installation. It appeared as though the
assembly had been painted as a whole; the paint
covering the joints and bolts of the assembly.
Whether or not Ford installed it, or the dealer did,
is unknown but we are reasonably certain that the
original owner did not, and that Mr. Princeton did
not either.”

Note Bruce used the same wording in his write up on the Rip Van Winkle in his book and his “Comprehensive Encyclopedia” so he did not “update” or “modify” his comments about the double wishbone.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Hap

As always you have great details, and agree with you that since no data can support (i.e. lack of any Ford part numbers for a 'brace' to the wishbone, or other info about factory attachments), would easily believe the dealer(s) made such fittings. Especially a prominent dealer who wanted his Ford customers very happy, and perhaps knew the local roads or lack of them required a bit more 'stiffness' on the Ford front end.

These accessory wishbone reinforcements occurred early in the Ford age, this one is rather unique, unlike the later simpler angle iron braces, and this one is 1914.

Others were made from 1915 on up and many different types of accessory wishbone braces.

Liberty Auto Supply, NY 1916

To think that Ford 'invented' this brace to make a package deal to its dealers, and shipped a brace to dealers as some sort of 'factory prescribed modification' is a bit of fancy to me.

After market accessories were just part of the Ford life, and dealers bought 'em and sold or installed such parts all the time. Making money on parts or accessories for the Ford made sense!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration