1924 TT carb control

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1924 TT carb control
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Calvin Watts on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

This may seem kind of funny. I have a TT I'm working on and no matter how I turn it the carburetor control rod won't fit through the slot in the firewall. What am I missing here? Never had this issue before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:52 pm:

Did you try feeding the handle end through from engine side?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:13 pm:

Does it have a stock intake manifold? What carb does it have? There aren't too many other possibilities.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Calvin Watts on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:30 pm:

I've tried it every way. Has a nh carb on it. All stock. I've worked on T's for years. Haven't had this problem. I could open up handle end and bend it back but just thinking I'm missing something here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

Same here on my tti went from the high to a low medal firewall new repo adjustment wont line up with my stock nh carb
The firewall hole is lower in the low firwall measuring from the top mounting hole at the base bracket
I trying find a ujoint setup as i dont want redrill this
Anyone know were a rod holder bracket can be had as well like that on the model A tank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:16 am:

These photos can be seen as, they are in the wrong order or taking it out but should help in any case. The gap goes to the top and it's tipped in;

http://s1101.photobucket.com/user/redmodelt/library/Spray%20needle%20adjuster?so rt=3&page=1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:23 am:

I had the same problem. Did exactly what you said. Had to open it up to get through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 10:59 am:

If the firewall has been changed at some point, it is possible the correct hole for the adjusting rod may not be in it. The only other was to correct it is to find another, or butcher up the one you have. I had a similar problem with my '25 roadster, and I had to file down the existing hole considerably to get the rod to move freely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Did it just like Mark's great photos, tipped in it from an upward angle. Works every time.

Is it a stock Ford rod or a reproduction?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 12:11 pm:

Mine was a reproduction. Seemed like the end is just a little too wide. Should be a tighter bend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 03:44 pm:

Calvin this thread might be of some use to you.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/520081.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 04:18 pm:

The one on the 23 touring I am working on has the repo rod. I just bent it so it now slides and tips in the hole. Someone had spread it out so they could get it in. It now looks a little closer to the one on the left in above photo, not quite but closer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Yes i can get itvthrough the firewall and put the tips through the carb butvthe whole is in the wrong location to siute a workable angle i probly lengthen the hole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:23 am:

It may be like my early 25 in that it uses a 26-27 style single choke/needle rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Calvin Watts on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

I cut a little off the handle end of the rod and made it go that way. That way if it did need to be removed it will come out. It's a reproduction rod. Guess it's just not right.
Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 01:09 am:

23 low firewall would be way befor the 26-7 parts.
The hole the rod goese through doese allow enouf angel for some reason
So seem others just made the hole longer
By the way it has the holese for the bell crank piece for the choke

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Found an orginal adjust rod the loop end is twice the size on the repop ones
Little filing and she reaches fine now to make a new rod that couple inches longer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 09:35 am:

The carb spray needle adjustment rod was the same from 1917 to 1925 cars and trucks. The hole in the firewall should be in the same relative position from the bottom of the FW to bottom of the hole for all. I found that the long leg on the fork can bind if it's to the rear and use too long of a cotter pin. With the repo I pre adjust the carb for running then install with the long leg to the front which give just enough swing to open for starting.
The end that sticks through the FW only just does and not much more.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration