Hood Shelf 1919 Model TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Hood Shelf 1919 Model TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Siver.......De Smet, SD on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 01:04 pm:

Can anyone tell me if the radiator, upper radiator shell is mounted on top of the hood shelf? How long are the hood shelves?

I have a service bulletin for a T truck that has a measurement from the front of the radiator to the front wall of the firewall of 27 9/32.

The radiator and upper and lower shells on my TT are mounted in front of the hood shelves, I have a drawing but only shows an end view but does indicate the hood shelf and hood shelf block are under the radiator mounting tab.

My hood does not fit correctly and has been bent several times and I plan to replace it, plus the nut the radiator support rod screws into on the back of the radiator tank is stripped out. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks,

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

Hood shelf's are the same as car. 25 3/4" long. The radiator shell and ears do not mount on shelf's, they are in front of it. Can't remember if the TT had the cups and springs in 1919 or leather pads but there would be no blocks.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3975-76BEQ.aspx

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3975-76B.aspx

If the holes are about 3/8 then the first setup is needed. If both holes in shell and radiator are larger then the 2ed set is used. Things get changed over the years.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/4056-7B.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

As for the stripped hole, put some JB Weld in the hole and screw the rod in. That worked for me on my old rad. You can still unscrew it later if need be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

David - Going by your profile picture it looks like you have a TT Fire Truck.

If so, do you know which Fire Truck Company made it? There may be a data plate somewhere that gives the name.

The reason I ask is that Pirsch Fire Trucks were built here in Kenosha, WI and I have some information for them.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Siver.......De Smet, SD on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

Keith, I was told by the person I bought it from that it was a kit that the city of Erwin, SD bought and put together with a TT truck. I am assuming the kit was from the Childs Corp as they are the ones who manufactured the chemical tanks. It has the original oak timbers and planks. It was also configured with a square copper tank with a hand pump and hose behind the seat but unfortunately disappeared long ago.

I have one more parade to drive it in and then will start the restore. It had a paint job back in the mid 70's and a complete motor and transmission job in the late 80's. It runs like a top and starts every time. I do have a little over heating problem so maybe a new radiator is in the works. I gave it the vinegar treatment last summer but still has a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David A. Siver.......De Smet, SD on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Mark,

I wonder what hood shelves they put in my truck. I measured them and they are 24 5/8" and neither one has a big hole in the forward end for the headlight wires.

My truck has not cowl in front of the firewall, the hood butts up against the firewall.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 06:10 pm:

No telling! A photo might help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

David, I have seen two variations in the hood shelves before the larger hole was put in the front to accept the insulator around the headlight wires. Both variations were on early shelves which had the 3/8" holes for the non-spring mounted radiator.
I believe the earliest ones had just a notch with a rounded top on the inner edge of the shelf, through which the wires were threaded. The second variation had a small hole in the usual spot. This hole was big enough for the wire only, and had a raised edge pressed around it.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

RE; "This hole was big enough for the wire only, and had a raised edge pressed around it."
They may have been introduced before the new spring setup but were also used after. My 21 had them. In fact I have it sitting on the desk as I type this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Here is the parts catalog pic

As Allan posted

Different headlamp wire hole variations

1920-1922

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration