Ignition switch help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Ignition switch help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 04:44 pm:

Yesterday, after a nice tour with the club,the ignition switch on my 26 Fordor broke. In order to get ready for the Cockrane Tour, I decided to take the switch out of the 27 speedster until I can locate another NOS key tumbler. On the new reproduction switches there is an extra post beside the bat post that is not labeled. I don't have the instructions that came with the switch and didn't pay attention to the wiring when taking it off the speedster (color coded right?) Well, now I cannot figure out the wiring. If I wire it ignoring the additional post it acts like the ignition is shorted and the coils buzz with switch on or off. Taking the battery lead and moving it over, I get nothing. She will start on mag, lights work, but no coils on mag. I am sure someone has the instructions for these new switches or can tell me how these wires attach.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 04:55 pm:

Here's the catalog drawing to follow.
That 'extra' terminal is shown next to the BAT, but nothing goes there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 05:06 pm:

Thank you, Dan, The jumper had gotten moved from bat-bat to bat-coil. That explains the short when the battery wire is attached resulting in constant power to the coil. Now I should be closer to being ready to take the Canadian Fordor back to Canada for the tour. I purchased it as a rusty basket case in Sickamoose, BC via T-bay. Saved it from someone who thought better or making a hot rod out of it. He probably saw all that rotted wood and decided there were easier cars to chop!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 05:47 pm:

Dan, where did you get that switch diagram? Is there a similar one for pre-'26 cars? If yes, can you post it here? Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

I don't think there any significant changes from 1920 thru 27, the ammeter on the early cars is larger but I don't know of any electrical changes.
Does anyone else know of any?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

Mark

That artwork is the splendid creation of Martin Vowell.....he posted it on the forum earlier, and now you can find this great art by Martin in Lang's new 2015 catalog.

Tony is right, no real changes for the '20-'27 as to wiring. Some of the early '19-'20 switches, depending on mfg, have a 'GRD" terminal. Likely for the wood dash car then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

Several other cars used the same or very similar switches they may have needed it depending on their wiring system. With the wooden firewall or wood instrument board and there is no need for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

Switch now wired in correct, running great, ready for more travels, thank you, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 02:19 am:

And thanks to Martin Vowell for some of his great drawings. ( exploded views)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer---- Klaaswaal NL on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 02:28 am:

Dan ; where is the Generator connected in the drawing ??
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:28 am:

It's nice they are using correct color codes now. I can remember when I started in the early '60s, the color codes were all over the place, and I had to convert all of them. It wasn't fun, not to mention, I don't think they got the wire gauges correct either. Speaking of gauges, they still had the problem recently. I had to have all of my 3 looms custom made, because the so called show quality looms were made incorrectly. I supplied original looms with Ford tags for them to copy. They even wove the Ford tags into my new looms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Toon

The generator wire via the cutout (yellow and black) wire goes to Terminal 1 on the Terminal Block at the firewall. Then that Yellow and Black continues to the BAT terminal on the switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

That extra post is to provide a ground to a real accessory magneto to turn it off.

The coil wire would go to the Magneto and a grounded wire would go to that spare terminal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 03:11 pm:

Briggs and Stratton also made those switch units and their units have 3 pins instead of those tabs that often break off.

Then too, the pins can break out of the plastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Dale, why don't you see if you can buy a good used switch assembly. It would likely be easier to find than a NOS lock cylinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

You can buy a new cylinder from MACs for $14.95, but it won't quite work in an old switch. It will work in their repro switches.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration