What is this hole for?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What is this hole for?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

I checked 3 or 4 spindles and none of these holes went anyplace. There is metal in front of all of them. I thought maybe for oiling the bottom bushing but they seem to be holes to no where

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Although I'm not a T owner I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night! Seriously, to me it looks like a centering point for machining the bearing surfaces on the spindle during manufacturing.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

I believe it's a centering hole for its manufacture: machining the spindle and cutting the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

That is most likely the hole for the lathe center that was used to machine the rough forging.
See how it is lined up with the end of the spindle where the threads are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Wasn't it to center it on a lathe for threading?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

A horse race of incoming replies. My horse lost.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

But it was sooooo close !

The collective knowledge on this Forum is GREAT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Ken Kopsky posted this a while back.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/312155.html?1348015730

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 03:04 am:

Many thanks...now it makes sense

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration