Look what I found buried in mud

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Look what I found buried in mud
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Friday, June 19, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

I replaced the 2nd quarter panel corner today. I was sanding the filler off the left quarter, and I had this 5/16 thick tar like spot, on the inside of the quarter. So I heated up the body filler on the outside, and scraped the mud off, it was deep, and then plop, it fell in. I guess someone at one time had a fuel neck sticking out of it.

Surprise, surprise, surprise!!! I wish I'd stop finding surprises.

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:09 am:

Perhaps a moonshine tank was in the trunk?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 01:43 pm:

Pat, that moonshine tank in the trunk may be true. I have personally seen several moonshine operations in the back woods in Tn. No I am not from there, but I did visit there a few times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

I brought the car with me, when we moved here from Mn, 7 years ago. guy I bought it from was going to make a hot rod out of it. It could have been one before that, I don't know. He sure hid a lot of problems, under the bondo job. I can see dents on the inside that he bondo over, I'm afraid to remove all the bondo, to fix them. But, I sure don't want it to crack after it's painted either. damned if I do, and damned if I don't!

I have repaired the hole today. I hammered it out, and then flush welded some steel in, ground it, and it's gone! Next is the drivers side belt line, it's pretty bad. He brazed it up, well mostly, and just filled it to look "Some what" right. The more I dig on it, the worst it gets.

Like I said before, No one else wanted to fix this body, it was going to the scrap yard, when I bought it. But I'll get it fixed, just watch!

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

What kind of car is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 07:31 am:

It's a '27 Coupe hot Rod, I bought that no one wanted any more, it was in a scrap pile. But it was kept inside, so it only has light surface rust inside. It looked a lot better then it was. The body was filled with bondo, the whole body had/has a layer of bondo on it to smooth the dents out. I'm removing it, and fixing everything as I go. The rear panel was new, cut down the middle, and had 3/16" of bondo over it. It came with only the drivers door, and a covered plywood top. It had no sub-frame cross members, nothing for a floor. I bought all the other body parts, separately. There won't be much left of the main body, that I didn't replace, or patched. The bottom 3-4" of the body is rusted away, I replaced the cowl, "A" pillars, header, and windshield frame, dash, rear panel, and both quarter corners, all sub-frame cross members, rain gutters, and 65 rivets yet to put in.

I now have it sitting on a hot rod frame(on top of a stand), that was built for a '26-27 roadster, not a bucket type, but a stock fendered type. That way I can bolt the whole body together with fenders, running boards, and radiator on it, as I work on it, when I get that far. I don't have a stock frame/chassis for it.

Pat

Before working on it pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Well I have been out working on the coupe again. I welded up the upper part of the quarter, and cleaned off the bondo, and primer, to see what it was like underneath. Then I decided to remove the rest of the bondo & primer from the drivers quarter panel. Guess what I found under it all. I found where they had the radio antenna! Another hole to fix. That and two small dents is all there was. He had coated the whole quarter with bondo, not just a light film to smooth it out, either.

Pat

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration