Salesman’s Model T Ford Carries a Cushman Demo Engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Salesman’s Model T Ford Carries a Cushman Demo Engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:16 am:

This image was taken in Junction City, Kansas, in 1912 by photographer Joseph Judd Pennell. G.C. Hodges was a
Sales Representative for the Cushman Motor Works based in Lincoln, Nebraska and covered his territory with this rig.

Learn more about both and view more images today on TheOldMotor.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:55 am:

Both my brother in law and myself have Cushman binder engines in our collections. It's a well designed little vertical with a factory supplied clutch that's only now getting proper recognition from stationary engine collectors.

As much as I like them however, I'd rather have the car.............:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:23 am:

4hp on a portable engine that size back then must have been unbelievable. What's the "bird box"? A radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 10:38 am:

That's "screen cooled." The water trickles down over the screen and cools, collects in the tank and circulates again. Some evaporates, of course, but it is far better cooling than one would think. It was used for years on stationary engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:27 am:

Is that the rare, early, black&brass Victor taillight that is usually considered to be for the early 1913?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:07 pm:

Rick,

Yes, it appears to be a the Victor tail lamp like the one shown on page 167 of Bruce McCalley’s (RIP) “Model T Ford.” Bruce said it was used during part of 1913. On page 166 he shared, “Victor made, apparently, two styles of head, side and tail lamps. The only photo we have of the earliest (we presume) is of the tail lamp.”

Note the “Model T Ford Club International Judging Guidelines 6th Edition” would also list the Victor tail lamp as 1913 and not 1912 use. Ref item 200 in the 1912 section and 200 in the 1913 section (Vector #1 and Victor #2 appeared during the year are both listed in 1913).

So it might be possible that the 1912 Torpedo Roadster was assembled late in the 1912 model year or perhaps even very early in the 1913 model year to use up the old parts and had the lamp installed from the factory. Or perhaps the 1912 lamp was damaged and was replaced by the 1913 style?

If the photo was dated more precisely than 1912, that might help us determine which was more likely. I.e. if it was taken before Sep 1912, then clearly the Victor Tail lamp was used prior to the 1913 model year. (ref page 141 Bruce’s book for 1913 Model year starting around Sep 1912. MTFCI Judging Guidelines would make the new model year starting in Oct 1912 ref page 5 of 6th Edition Judging Guidelines.

Note all models did not necessarily start the model year in the same month for all years. For example the slant windshield 1923 touring came out in Sep 1922 with the one-man top etc. But the slant windshield roadster/runabout did not come out until around Nov 1922 and the New Fordor did not come out until around Dec 1922. [ref page 308 Bruce’s book.] I don’t have any ready information on when the 1912 style Torpedo was discontinued. Perhaps someone else does?

Below are some additional photos of a Victor tail lamp courtesy of Layden Butler:

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

The "1912" torpedo and open runabout body styles were produced through about December 1912 when the new "1913" style runabout bodies were first pictured in Ford Times. In February 1913 a note was sent to dealers stating "that only the new style was then available".

The car in David's picture has all black and brass lamps, with the visible cowl lamp being an E&J. The black and brass lamps started to appear in summer of 1912, before the beginning of the 1913 model year on October 1, 1912. So this particular car is typical of that period in every way that we can see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 04:57 pm:

Thanks Royce for adding how long the 1912 style torpedo and open runabout continued. That Victor tail lamp that is shown in the photo is listed as 1913 only in the MTFCI Judging Guidelines as well as in Bruce's book. Do you have any idea when that style lamp was first used? Clearly if the car was produced around Oct – Dec 1912 then a 1913 style tail lamp would make sense. If it was produced when the one piece dash first came out it then clearly it would have been available in 1912 model year also.

A date for the photo with a month along with the year would really be nice. I.e. whenever it was taken we know the Victor tail lamp was available at that time. We may not know for sure it came on that car or was replaced later -- but it had to be available either from the factory delivered on the car or as a replacement, or it could not have been in the photo above.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

The rear end would suggest that the car is mid to late '12 since it is the'12 diff as opposed to the'13-'15 12 rivet introduced late in the year prior to the'13 production. I have an interest in this since I have a B numbered '12 torpedo.I have a set of black and brass Victor side lights and tail light that I intend to use for what I believe was a November to December built torpedo. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I understand and respect the judging guide line. But also believe that the changes in late'12 are not so easily standardized. IMHO Malory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Interesting paint finish, one can see the brush marks in the finish varnish work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

B numbered engines were produced well into the 1913 model year. No earlier than October 1912. This body style was of course available then, such a car would have been called a 1913 Model T at the dealer.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration