1923 Cowl Lights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1923 Cowl Lights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 08:59 am:

This 1923 Roadster has different cowl lights from those mentioned in Bruce McCalley's black book.

Bruce notes in his book that from 1916 to 1925 only the non-electric Model Ts had kerosene cowl lights, and they were not installed on the Electric Model Ts at all.

These electric cowl lights appear to have been part of the original cowl, as the cowl has a raised flat area for their mounting bolt.

The left rear fender also has this unusual light with the switch built inside. There is a red lens in back, a green lens in front and a clear lens on the left side.

Parking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:11 am:

James,

Those cowl lights are mid 1920's Chevrolet I think. They are popular on Model T's, I have seen many converted like yours to allow them to be used.

The fender parking lamp was required by law in some big cities. Washington DC for example required every car have one of those. Lots of Model T's on Shorpy can be seen with that accessory, since most of the pictures on Shorpy are from the National Archives in Washington.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:19 am:

Here are a few of the many types of accessory lamps you could put on the Ford.

One on the left is "Tiffany" lamp !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:23 am:

When I registered my '26 Touring, the "DMV" insisted I have parking lights, so I went to a junk yard looking for something usable. I got a pair off a Buick, if I remember correctly, which is always questionable, and I think it was a 1928 Buick.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration