Question on Vin/Serial numbers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Question on Vin/Serial numbers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:30 am:

Are there other numbers on the 23 Touring beside the engine number and if so where are they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:39 am:

No. Car numbers were dropped in 1915 and frame numbering didn't start until december 1925, so the engine number above the water intake is all there is on a '23.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:09 am:

Thats what I thought Roger but wasn't sure so thanks for the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 12:46 pm:

Roger I always enjoy your postings and your attention to details. Minor input, there is a remote chance that a 1923 style open body that came with a slant windshield from the factor may also have a body number. If it does have one, it would be on the right hand side front floor board riser. I have not seen one later than 1922 and that was on a straight windshield 1922 Beaudett bodied roadster/runabout. Beaudett stopped supplying Ford with bodies Jul 20, 1922 ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/A-B.htm But I do not know if that was the last delivery of Beaudett bodies or the last order for Beaudett bodies.

Note the 1923 slantwindshield, one man top touring cars were introduced in Sep 1922 followed by the slantwindshied runabout around Nov 1922 (ref page 308 Bruce McCalley (RIP) "Model T Ford.")

Yes, the USA production stopped stamping the engine number on the ID patent plate starting around Oct 6, 1911 (ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc11.htm and see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/231172.html?1313980815 for an explanation of why even though they said "body number" they really meant the number on the ID patent plate.) and stopped putting any number on the ID patent plate during 1915 production. However, Ford of Canada continued to place the engine serial number on the ID Patent plate at least into 1920. Ref: Vic Patterson's Canadian built 1920 slant windshield touring car. If someone has a Canadian car with a ID Patent plate stamped with the engine number after 1919, please let me know. I would like to better document when Ford of Canada stopped stamping the ID patent plate with the engine serial number.

Again Roger, thank you for your postings, I file a lot of them for future reference.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration