Thinking about my Dad

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Thinking about my Dad
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 06:41 pm:

Today was a down day for me with no motivation to do anything but I couldn't sit still so I began looking thru a few car things that belonged to my Dad.

This time I found an envelope with 1922 T on the outside. The 22 was his first T.

It contained his original bill of sale dated Sept 17, 1952 for $145 cash, a Mass registration from 1955, and a bill of sale made out to Robert Hutzley of Birmingham Michigan dated April 4, 1967 for $300 cash. The 67 BoS said that the motor was apart.

I am wondering if any knows Mr Hutzley or if someone has the 1922 T Fordoor # 9625693

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

I hear you, man. _Loud and clear. _I was pals with my Dad, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 08:50 pm:

Fred,

For the first year after my Dad had passed away the cars tended to remind me of his death -- bummer. But sometime around the one year point, and it continues even now, when I look at the cars, his notes, etc. they remind me of all the good times we had together. Times we spent with the old cars, ice cream, welding stuff, working on cars etc.

Some thoughts concerning your Dad's Fordor sedan. If it was in fairly good shape in 1967, there is an excellent chance it is still out there unless it was involved in a garage fire or some other major event like that. It was not unusual for an engine to be swapped out sometime in the past (we still do it now days - they fit easily in other years.) It also is not unusual for the year on the title to be inaccurate.

The engine number you shared 9,625,693 is listed on the Apr 1, 1924 engine production log (ref page 530 Bruce McCalley (RIP) "Model T Ford"). So it could not have been originally installed in a 1922 car.

Note also on page 308 Bruce commented, "A new Fordor appeared in Dec 1922.....There was no cowl vent in the early Fordor sedans but the vent was added during early 1923, before the change to the larger hood." [I.e the taller 1924 model year radiator.] If you have any photos of the Fordor it might help clarify if the car was indeed an early Fordor Dec 1922 etc. or if it had the cowl vent or even if it had the high radiator and high cowl that an Apr 1, 1924 engine would have originally been.

Checking with the local clubs near Birmingham, Michigan might produce some leads for Robert Hutzley. And you might even ask Jay our MTFCA CEO if there are some membership rosters from around 1967 if they could check to see if A Hutzley is listed in Birmingham, Michigan. I tried doing a word search of the MTFCA “Vintage Ford” CDs, but I did not find a Hurzley mentioned so far. I accidently closed out the search so I will start it again and see if the name turns up. Of course he may have liked Ts but he may not have been on many major tours etc. Or he may have been a member of the MTFCI rather than the MTFCA. The MTFCI had a lot more members in Michigan and the MTFCA had lots more members in California back then.

Good luck with your search. And I’ll be praying that the Ts will bring you more good memories in the future.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

My dad wasn't a car collector, although he always said he wanted to have a T and even an A. He always reminisced his high school days in his Model A roadster, of which he rolled over taking a corner in downtown Marion Ohio too fast! I was just talking about him of course today, at a car show where I had my '13 to this guy with a gorgeous '38 Pontiac. Dad would pee his pants to see my fleet. Maybe he has seen 'em. Who knows. All I know is, my Clarabelle the '13 went away with Best of Show, as voted on by participants. Wonder if dad might have had some sort of influence...... hmmmmm, you never know. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

Fred,
Just PM'd you with contact info on Robert Hutzley.
Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

Ronald,

What a nice gesture ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, June 21, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

Fred - Ronald H. (& others)...

Just amazes me how small this world is

AND/OR

How far reaching this Forum is.

Happy Father's Day to all...
(Fathers or sons of their Dad).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 10:24 am:

A quick search on the internet to find Robert Hutzley only took me about 30 seconds!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 10:30 am:

Shucks...

And here I thought a Forum contributor knew him.

Google is good, but sometimes methinks "IT" knows too much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

The only pictures of the "22" are from a 8 mm video that was converted so I could look at it on my computer.
Here are a couple poor screen captures.

That's me getting out of the car ............................. And that's my Dad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Fred,

We can see the cowl vent so we know the car was produced sometime during 1923 and not at the beginning of the production run.

I cannot make out if the car has latches on the windows or uses the window straps. If you have a photo showing the front of the car that would probably help. I.e. does it have the lip on the edge for the front fenders that line up with the radiator apron? And were those the correct fenders and radiator apron for the car? If so it was a 1924-25 high cowl Fordor and not a low cowl 1923.

As mentioned above on page 308 Bruce commented, "A new Fordor appeared in Dec 1922.....There was no cowl vent in the early Fordor sedans but the vent was added during early 1923, before the change to the larger hood." [I.e the taller 1924 model year radiator.] So at this point we would think it is a 1923-1925 Fordor. [Assumes no one added a vent to a Dec 1922 Fordor.] Hopefully you will be able to contact Mr. Robert Hutzley and he knows where the car is located. In that case you don't need additional photos. As nice as the car looks in the photos I suspect it is still out there somewhere.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 10:46 am:

Here are a few more pictures or the front

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser - Danville, IL on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Fred,
Were you able to get hold of Robert Hutzley with the Phone number I PM'd you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

Ron
The number is no longer in service.

AT&T said that "for an additional charge" it connect me to a similar business and then listed Atty's offices.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration