What should I spray?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What should I spray?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 07:50 am:

Another senior moment. Somebody remind me what to spray around an intake manifold to detect an air leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:03 am:

Starting fluid is very risky if the exhaust manifold is close by and hot, but I've got by using it when the engine was cold and just been started. I'm sure less flammable options works, I just haven't tried them myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:15 am:

WD40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Canton, Mi on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:16 am:

I have always used wd40 to detect intake leaks in motorcycles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:38 am:

What about a mist of water?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dwayne Durand on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 09:34 am:

I've always used an unlit propane torch. The gas will be drawn into the intake side where there is a leak. The upside is keeping your engine clean and it is highly unlikely you will start any fires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 09:45 am:

I too use the propane torch.
For others reading this:
The idea is to increase the combustible's to provide a richer mixture. If the engine RPM increases you know there is a leak. WD40 does the same thing as it contains a petroleum product but it drips and runs down the side of the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 12:10 pm:

I never thought of propane. Excellent idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

I think the WD40 also temporarily "plugs" the leak, removing the lean condition so the engine picks up speed. Either way, it works.

In fact, my 1919 Dyke's recommends dribbling light oil around the intake manifold gaskets to detect an air leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 02:38 pm:

WD40

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

I have always used oil. You find out real quick if it is leaking. As George states it improves running immediately if that is the problem. Mgh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Ditto the propane Steve. I just tried that trick last week 'cause I thought I had an intake leak...it's tight as can be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

I have used smoke bombs but propane would be easier

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

I remember the first time I tried the propane trick. Didn't find my intake leak, but jumped good when I found the exhaust manifold crack and lit the torch! (A little too much propane?) I just use oil now...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

I like to use motor oil in a trigger squirt can. It does not explode and it shows being drawn in or bubbles when there is a compression or exhaust leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Steve, which car is needing the intake leak diagnosis?

Really enjoyed seeing your family re-union pics, glad you had a good time. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration