Is this a regulator or a diode version of a cut out.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is this a regulator or a diode version of a cut out.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard OSullivan on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:36 am:

Can anyone tell me if this is a diode or a regulator.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Diode

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard OSullivan on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:54 am:

Thanks Ron. Do I need to adjust the generator before running it. I took off the cut out that was on there and installed this but then thought better and realized it might not be plug and play.
Curiosity got the better of me and I opened up the cut out as well and it had a large coil and points but I don't think it was working as the meter showed no charge when running but does show discharge with the lights on. I should mention this diode version was in a box of parts that came with the car. So I have no wave to be sure it works either.
Thanks for all the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 09:26 am:

Richard
That appears to be a cutout modified with a diode for a Model T (not Model A). If the diode is good it should work if you have an operable generator. You may have to adjust the charging rate on the generator for about 5-6 amps as shown on the ammeter.
If you run into trouble give me a call.
Ron Patterson
859-881-1677

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Check that diode w/an ohmeter, it should have continuity in one direction and infinity in the other.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration