1917 Touring...headlight wire routing?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1917 Touring...headlight wire routing?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Broyles on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 02:45 pm:

Hi guys...new 1917 Touring car owner. Inherited it from my Father-In-Law. I was the only one in the family he trusted to take over his 'baby'. Quite an honor....
Anyway...I have been looking over the car for a month trying to ID all the items that need some work and/or TLC.
One thing that has me baffled is the proper routing of the headlight wires. How/where do the wired enter the engine compartment? He had them running to the bottom of the hood on each side, then pinching under the hood between the latches. Of course this causes the hood panels to be forced slightly out of shape when latched. This just doesn't seem right, but I can't find any photos to show the proper routing.
BTW...this car was converted with a 12V battery and he added a starter.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Look here - a wiring diagram is posted here.

I also took photos of the headlamp wiring of our '17 touring.

Note that the ground wire on the left headlight was originally soldered to the radiator cross bar at the factory but in the photo we have grounded it to the radiator stud.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/219941.html?1309378046

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 03:12 pm:

If you have a copy of "Model T Ford, the Car That Changed the World", the bottom two photos on page 271 show the headlight wire routing on the "Rip Van Winkle" Ford. On that car, the headlight wires emerge out from under the fronts of the hood shelves.

One of the pics is also in this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/351580.html?1364630800

P.S. I just saw Erik's post and his pics are way better than the ones in the book, use his pics, thanks Erik! :-)

(Message edited by cudaman on June 22, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 08:16 pm:

Ken, as far as I know, on a 1917 model, the wires lights from the lights pass under the metal hood shelf through a notch in the outer edge. Then they run along the frame rail on the inside, under the hood, and along the frame rail. They are held in place with clips which in turn are held in place by the hood shelf bolts.

Things may be different if the hood shelves have been replaced with reproduction items. These have a hole in the top of the shelf, that hole having a stepped bush so the wires do not rub.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 12:15 am:

Apparently the posted pictures are of two different cars! One has the early focusing screw, and the other has the late style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 12:55 am:

Sharp eyes but, it is the same car - July 1917. My dad has owned it for 66 years.

The driver's side head light is original to the car.

The original passenger side head light bracket broke when my dad was driving the car back in the 1950s - stress fracture due to vibration. The original light is sitting on the shelf.

He replaced it with a later lamp. I think he has a correct replacement lamp but has never put it on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Broyles on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Wow...so much helpful info.
So it appears the wire harness needs to slip through a slot just in front of the hood, through the frame, then into the engine compartment. I hope that slot is there but don't remember seeing it. Closer inspection tonight.
Thanks so much for helping this new guy out. Glad I'm here!
She's a good running car but needs TLC.
Ken

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

The wires go under the hood shelf (not the hood) where it meets the radiator shell as shown in the pictures. The hood shelf is notched (has a relief) as stated by Allen Bennett above. The wires do not go through the frame. The wire is then routed through a tube on the back of the radiator.

Note that what is shown is a stock set up so the lights are powered by the magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Broyles on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 04:24 am:

Thanks Erik. I think my poor choice of words caused the confusion. Your description of the correct parts has helped a lot so I can now make better, more accurate descriptions.
Thanks again,
Ken

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration