HELP! Shifting problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: HELP! Shifting problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas Seidel on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

I'm working on my great-grandfather's 1927 model T. Low gear, reverse and the transmition break work perfectly. The problem I'm having is when I lift my foot to go into high gear. The engine starts spitting as if it's going to die. It hasn't stalled but I can't figure out what would cause this problem as the motor works great and sounds great running. I'm thinking that I'm just doing something wrong or a minor adjustment needs to be made. And suggestions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 07:29 pm:

Perhaps your bands are adjusted too tight, causing the high clutch to be fighting with the other bands?

I adjust my low band and brake bands so that when their pedals are pressed hard, the pedals end up about 1 to 1.5 inches above the floorboard. I adjust my reverse band so that when the reverse pedal is pressed hard, it is even with the low and brake pedals when they are in their released positions (brake lever in neutral).

Here is an old writeup about band and linkage adjustment:

free_neutral01

free_neutral02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 11:33 am:

The bands need to be loose enough that when in neutral you can crank the engine without moving the car or you can push the car without turning the engine. If the above is true, I would expect either one of two things. You are not revving the engine enough before shifting, or either the spark or fuel mixture is not set correctly. When you shift into high, try pushing the spark lever up a few notches, not full retard, but about half way up. Then as you pick up speed advance it a bit more to about 3/4 advance. The mixture should be set at the point where the engine runs smoothly If you lean it, the engine will begin to slow down and if you enrich it the engine will start to lope. Find the smoothest point between lean and rich and run in that spot. Note it might be necessary to re set the fuel mixture after the engine warms up.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 11:50 am:

Your description of the 'spitting' going to higher rpm's when into high gear, might just be carb adjustment. Try to rich up the mixture, turn the carb adj. counter clockwise to rich the mixture.

A T will spit and buck in high a low speed if the carb is too lean.

Usually fuel related to spitting.

Or the spark advance is too much at that low speed, try advancing the spark lever only after the car gets going in high for a few yards. Otherwise, might be time to clean the timer. That can be an issue, but if starts, runs ok, and can rev up in neutral, the carb is usually the cause.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration