Depot with frontenac engine

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Depot with frontenac engine
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Healey on Monday, June 22, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

I'm not in the market for another car (yet) but contacted them to see what the asking price was. Thought I might be able to get a gem. I don't know enough about the frontenac head to know if this is a rare find or a overpriced depot. He is asking 15k. Reasonable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 12:18 am:

If you want one, it all depends on the condition of the depot hack, the build of the motor, and the version and condition of the Fronty. My first blush guess is it's likely overpriced. However, if the body and finish is nice, the motor is a quality build and the Fronty is a peppy one, it might be a fine deal for someone. It could easily be a nice tourer that goes over a mountain pass and says "what hill?".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Healey on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

I forgot to include the link

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5058513273.html

Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 07:57 am:

Note that it's a Huckster, not a Depot Hack. Apparently it hasn't run for a few years. That could be bad news, or not. Overall, the car looks good in the pics. It's not overpriced if it will run and drive without much work. I'd want to check it out in person before taking the plunge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 09:55 am:

From what I can see in the two photos of the engine;
passenger side, looks to have one piece valve cover and generator so block is at least 1919 or newer, maybe more like 1922 up. Looks like the distributor is driven off the back of the generator.
Drivers side, I don't see a starter so may not have ring gear on flywheel. Looks like an oil pressure gauge so may have oil pump driven off back of cam shaft which might point to no magnets and coil ring. The gauge could also be fuel pressure gauge?
Unless it has a tag placed somewhere by the state, it would be hard to check serial number with out pulling the intake off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 10:08 am:

Here's a link to a Frontenac head that recently sold. There are a couple of variations of the single port, Frontenac head but I think a good one would be in the same ball park as this one. So, if you deduct this from the 15,000.00 asking price, that leaves about 10-11,000.00 in Huckster with a brass radiator. From the photos, I didn't see any other desirable accessories such as a Ruckstell rear end, etc.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/254814-sold-rare-and-ready-to-run-frontenac-fronty- model-t-overhead-valve-assembly-for-sale/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 10:40 am:

I see an expensive Winfield side draft carburetor. Photos are too crappy to tell much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 11:06 am:

I was trying to figure out what kind of carburetor it is. I don't think it is a Winfield, but, like Royce said, hard to tell from the photos. Also, seeing the oil pressure gauge makes me think that it is a pressurized engine and might even have a Model A crank installation which adds a few more bucks to the overall value of the engine.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration