Non T, but if you like old engines...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Non T, but if you like old engines...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 10:32 am:

I was asked to rebuild and restore a 4 cyl unitized coil for a 1915 Waterous engine. I had never heard of one before, but here it is. The red-stained coilbox is visible at the crank end of the engine. It was an interesting project since points are not being made, but I modified a set of 1910 J-B points, which I do make; they came out very close indeed to the originals.

Luc Drolet headed up the project for the village of St. Casimir in Quebec. The engine was originally used to pump water at a Quebec sawmill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-_sz6Utj-E&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 11:32 am:

What a great sound it makes ! Could that shiny brass carb have been done by Stan Howe ?

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 11:40 am:

R.V. - That coil box looks beautiful!!! I notice that it doesn't have a cover too. It makes me wonder if they ever had moisture problems with the coils since when fighting a fire, water is flying everywhere.

Did you get a load of the round, black steel or cast iron device on the frame just to the lower left of the coil box? It looks to me like it might be a cup holder for the operator....:-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 01:05 pm:

The Waterous Co. Was a St.Paul MN company and made fire hydrants and fire engines. This engine might be from a fire engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 01:45 pm:

Waterous is still in business in South St. Paul.

http://www.waterousco.com

My dad managed their credit union before he retired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 02:34 pm:

Keith,

TWO cup holders. One for left handed crankers and one for right handed crankers.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Hmm. Maybe the engine is still under warranty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

Dick - You're right! I watched the video again and saw that there are two cup holders...one on each side. They might also be for a two fisted drinker. :-)
Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration