OT T parts - Snyders? Langs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT T parts - Snyders? Langs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

In the market for parts today. I have always enjoyed being able to shop as a guest. I have ordered parts from Langs before. And from Snyders. Last time I ordered from Langs I did it as a guest. Now today at Langs, after going through and adding stuff to my cart, I was faced with having to make an account. I went to Snyders and placed the same order as a guest. Order accepted. Have a receipt and am happy. Both are good companies -- but some of us just want to order without extra steps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 03:08 pm:

First choice for me is Lang's.

Account set up is easy first time. Then when re-ordering, super fast on-line with user id and password, Quick Cat Order tab. Then Check out, remembers your credit card info, just click submit and done. Instant email confirmation back.

Plus the new 2015 catalog is super nice with new exploded view drawings. Chock full of more T parts than Snyder's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Ordering anything on line by computer is a problem for me. I seem to order twice, or cancel my order. Just make a list of the parts you want and call them on the phone. It works like a charm.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

I like to call Snyder's or Lang's with my order. If you use the internet or fax you risk your credit card being high jacked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Having to create yet another account on a site to buy anything is a pest. Yet another user name and password I have to record in my little red book.
What's absurd is in many instances it's a one off purchase and I'll never use the site again.

Soon as I see the requirement for an account, I have a mental image of spam emails that will ensue, and I see if there's a non account site where I can make the same purchase.

There is no need for it when so many sites, like Snyders, work fine without it; another good reason I like to purchase from them.
You should only have to supply address and credit card details to buy something on the internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

"...in many instances it's a one off purchase and I'll never use the site again."

The issue in question is Model T parts, which many of us order every week, sometimes several times per week. As Dan said, it's quick and easy to set up your account with Lang's, then it saves time every time you order after that.

And Lang's has the largest number of parts and the best service. You can't beat that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 10:40 pm:

I buy all my T parts from Lang's and all my A parts from Snyder's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russell Prideaux Margaret River West Oz on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:44 pm:

I use Langs. Never had an issue. I find their system the easiest to use as an overseas buyer. Multiple postage options and costs up front. Options on send now or wait until all in stock etc. All in all a very well sorted and user friendly company to deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

George: For my humble opinion I have ordered from both as you said, however My choice is by far LANG'S old car parts. They are very go0d at providing parts and at a very good price even to California. Get an account Number and you will not regret it.
I have put two vehicles together and 90 to 95 % of the parts I needed came from Lang's. Tell them Bill from California sent you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 12:26 am:

I try to buy T parts from all of the vendors. However it seems that I buy most of my T parts from Lang's, a few from Chaffin's and Bob's and split my A parts from Snyder's, Bert's and Mike's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 04:51 am:

I price my parts at several suppliers every time I order and you will be very surprised if you do this and you probably wont use the same one each time. I find signing up to them is no effort at all?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 07:46 am:

I've ordered by phone, and online. Never had a problem either way. If you don't care for the online set-up, just use the free phone number to call in your order. Very easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:11 am:

I want to actually talk to someone actually taking my order. For me its the closest way to be actually hands on. I try to buy from all the vendors when I can. The more vendors that are out there the better off the T hobby will be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:28 am:

Pick up the phone and call Langs. They are very helpful and know their stuff. I've done business both ways, but when calling I get questions asked - like "are you sure you only need one?"

A while back there seemed to be a shortage of tubes and I was mounting some new clinchers preparing for a tour when I pinched one of mine and split it open. Did the on-line but after getting notices that the tubes were "out of stock" I called Langs to see how long they might be on back order. They explained the supply situation and seemed to have a good handle on the entire market. They were able to tell me the last batch had been shipped to Coker Tire from the supplier. so a quick call there netted the tube I needed plus a spare. All I got from the other suppliers was a simple "out of stock, don't know when we'll have more." Langs went the extra mile and helped me track down what I needed, even though it meant someone else got the sale. That's the way to treat (and keep) a customer as far as I'm concerned. So-don't hesitate to call if you prefer doing business that way.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

I deal with all of them. I sell to them, and I buy from them. They are all great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 10:13 am:

I am with Mike on this..
At one time I searched multiple vendors for the best price and found that I could save a few pennies by splitting my order, but when I started a major project that required weekly orders I found it easier to just use Lang's.

I look at their catalog throughout the day, make a list of what I need in the evening (sometimes I use the computer) and call Lang's in the morning.
They have me in their computer with all the info needed so the transaction only takes a few minutes - unless I have question
I could order on line in the evening but I like talking with a real person.

I usually get an email confirming the order by early afternoon and another email by the end of the day confirming shipment.
The parts show up a day or two .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Phillips on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

I ordered a rust repair panel from Langs for my 24 roadster on the 8th of August. They emailed to say it had been shipped to my address in New Zealand on the 15th and it arrived at my door on the 21st of August. Now that's what I call bloody good service.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

On a recent exercise (3 days ago) where I needed brake parts, wheel bits, bearings and some suspension bits, I did a price comparison.
With the AU$ now worth about 73 cents, US, and the extortionate price of shipping, this is an absolute must.
First thing was, I was disappointed to notice that most of the parts were more expensive at Langs. A few weren't.
But Langs were prepared to ship using USPS International, Snyders weren't. They only offered FedEx.
So, even though their prices were generally higher than Snyders, it was still more economical to shop with Langs than Snyders.
All this proves is that both Snyders and Langs are a great resource for we Ters, but you do need to shop around.
BUT...even though the AU-US $ exchange rate is pretty poor and the price of shipping is also bloody awful, its still more economical and more convenient to import from the USofA than to buy parts from our local vendors. Well, that's my opinion anyway.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

If I didn't live in CA. I'd buy everything from Chaffin's. It's that damn 10% sales tax you know.
I usually now order from Snyder's because they have both A & T parts and so far they have not peed me off.
My last order I called in from the job site at noon on Monday, my time, and got the parts Thursday.
I like Lang's too. Never have bought from Bob's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 09:53 pm:

Even with sales tax, there's something to be said for buying nearby. Smith and Jones don't have as much inventory as some, but, I can call and order by noon and have it the next day, and, like Lang's, they only charge "actual" shipping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter B. Ratledge on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

If you are restoring a show car,I would use Langs
and Chaffins. If you want to just keep you T running, Snyders,Bob's,Smith's and Mac's. Mac's
has the best pictures of parts of all catologes.
I have account's with most of them. I look at the catologe and call my parts in. I do not trust the
Enternet. Also I like to talk to real person. I know right away if the part is on back order, and
I can ask questions about the part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, August 22, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Lang's is a small family business that grew into something... well, bigger. _Along the way, they lost none of their 'Mom & Pop Shop' charm. _Their personal service is second to none and they're honest as the day is long.

I don't generally use their online ordering mechanism because it's just more enjoyable to pick up the phone and chat a little with Ashley or Don or whomever is taking the orders that afternoon. _I always get the impression I'm doing business with friends. _Of the three "Big-Catalog" parts retailers (Lang's, Snyder's and Mac's), Lang's is the only one that deals exclusively in Model T Ford parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 11:39 pm:

I always loved it when the old Mac's would send an email 6 days after I called in my order to tell me it was now being processed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Monday, August 24, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

Mid July I ordered a set of counteract beads from Lang's, and finally got around to installing them a couple of weeks ago. One bag was missing a valve stem. I tried to find it locally and could not, and you really do need the one with the little filter at the end. So I emailed them and told them the same thing. Next day I received an email saying they saw I had ordered 2 sets of beads in 2009, they did have some extra valve stems, and would ship one out. I replied with the current order number so they would know I wasn't full of sh!t and trying to just get them to ship a valve stem for a 6 year old order, but I've gotta admit I was impressed that they shipped it thinking that's exactly what was happening. How many vendors would replace a part you said was missing from an order that they thought was 6 years old?? Not too many...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Lang's - simply none better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 10:15 am:

I'm thankful for all the suppliers, and the access we have to parts.

Lang's has treated me very well over the years, I appreciate their Hershey connection for parts pick-up.

Mac's has been sending regular e-mail discount notices during the summer, so maybe they are getting (re)organized. I do not like their new part numbering scheme.

respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Tuesday, August 25, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

I am new to Ts and an long time T person advised Langs. I have used them on several orders and see no reason to consider anyone else. I only use the phone system and they are always extremely polite and helpful. The knowledge they share with me is worth more than I pay for the parts.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 03:06 am:

You're overlooking one really good vendor.
I use Langs, Snyders, Bobs, Texas T's, Model T Ranch and have even been known to import stuff from Macs, (some are great, some aren't) but my favourite is the one closest too me, Chaffins Garage.
Glen and Dave have never let me down and they're just great blokes who are a pleasure to deal with.
Over the years (since 1990) I've visited them in Corona on 3 occasions. The last 2 were just to say Hello but I ended up buying something anyway. And then had to cart it home.
My pick...Caffins.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

About 8 or 10 years ago I ordered a Ruckstel kit from Chaffin's for a '13 touring.
The car owner wanted new axles, a left side shifter and a few other extras, plus he wanted the '13 brake backing part on the left side. I shipped the left axle housing down to Chaffin's and they did the job & sent all that stuff back to me with the new Ruckstell parts.
Anyway, I left the pack sit for a good two weeks without opening it.
When I finally did I found that the main center section with the internal pats was missing. Some 70 lbs. lighter than when it was shipped! The shipment had broken open and was repacked by the shipping company.
I called Glen, he said it was all in there when they shipped it and he would check with UPS, etc.
Well about three or 4 days later I get another box of parts from Chaffins with everything that I told them I was missing!!!
Glen never said a word about who would pay for what or anything.
A UPS inspector came to my place and made a report.
About 3 months later Chaffin's finally got paid for the missing parts that they had to ship.
I never heard a complaint or a word from Chaffins about any of it until I asked them about it.
now you can see why I would buy anything real important from Chaffin's. You can really count on them.

Oh, and the Ruckstel went together well and shifted like a new Toyota when I was done with it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration