Timing marks on cam and crank gears?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Timing marks on cam and crank gears?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

I am changing the valves and lifters on the all original 1926 we recently purchased. The timing marks on the cam and crank are both marked on the tooth which are not lined up like any I have ever seen before. Has anyone seen this before? I have only seen timing marks that are marked on one tooth (cam gear) and the other mark between two teeth or like where the crank gear key was broached between or (centered between two teeth).

I can reinstall the way I took it apart but I'm wondering why they were marked this way? Any ideas guys?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 11:24 pm:

Human error. I saw this question once before, 4 years ago in 2011 on the forum and some good advice was offered on how to attain the correct timing without the marks. Jim Patrick

www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/186526.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Redelman, Kouts, IN on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 06:17 am:

Thanks Jim this is just what I have going on with the original parts. Thank you for finding this thread on a discussion of my problem. I'll put it back together as I took it apart and I will mark the gear to help the next caretaker of this 1926. Again thanks, Steve

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration