Who has the youngest* T still on the road today?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Who has the youngest* T still on the road today?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Sweere on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 10:46 pm:

Who has the youngest* T still on the road today?

(*per engine and/or frame serial number)

The last T made was 15,007,034 (in Dearborn, MI). Overseas / branch plants kept producing cars until they ran out of parts. The last engine was assembled was 15,176,888.

15M is now in the Henry Ford Museum.

Dan Hatch on 10 Aug 11 posted: I have engine # 15143343 setting in frame # 14982654 [meaning the engine is a replacement].

Dennis Halpin, 10 Aug 11: Frame and engine # 14714314.

Dick Lodge, 10 Aug 11: The '27 Roadster Pickup of [another member of our club] has a 15 million serial number.

Doug Langevin, 11 Aug 11: I own a 1927 Sport Roadster , serial #14,941,68X.

R.V. Anderson, 11 Aug 11: author George Elgin had engine #14,999,964.

Niels Andersen, 24 Aug 13: I have a frame 15,007,600 (wrt this high number, see 1st paragraph).

Darel J. Leipold 27 Aug 13: Back in about 1955, one of the Habagger sons in Chaska, MN had a 1927 touring for sale. The number was just over 15,000,7000. I should have purchased it. About 6 years ago at the St, Peter MN swap meet was a 1927 chassis with a serial number just over 15,000,000.

Sweere (myself) has matching engine & frame 14,991,341. Mine will be a touring / commuter Tudor.

Are there any higher numbers out there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

I seem to recall at someone posted a similar question on this subject a few years ago. At that time, it spawned a discussion about TTs and their end of production. Some asserted that they continued to be built much later than the cars. I don't remember if evidence was provided to support the claims.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 01:39 am:

engines were built and numbered until 1941.
I worked on an engine that according to someone on this forum was built in spring of '28.
I have forgotten what month.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 01:50 am:

I have read that TT ton trucks continued to be built into the fall of '27 in some branches.
Also, the Brits usually say there were 16 million T Fords built.
I have read that in some countries the cars were built much later than when they stopped in the U.S.
In some countries the cars were only assembled from parts made in the U.S. and by outside suppliers.
They didn't have to spend 6 months to get set up to assemble and manufacter engines, transmissions and such for model A cars and AA trucks so they just kept on building T cars and TT trucks as long as they had parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 07:09 am:

The engine in my TT dates to March 1929.
Engine # 15154151

(Message edited by JunkyJud on June 24, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Beneze on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 05:46 pm:

Frame and engine # - 14978232 on my '27 coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lynn Meeks - Centerville, Georgia on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

1927 Touring
Matching engine and frame

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 01:52 am:

A bit off topic but does anyone know of one of the reconditioned engines said to have been produced by Ford in July 1930. They are supposed to have an "R" preceding the number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 06:22 pm:

My 1922 have a newer engine and transmission with 15068275:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

Here's my '27 Runabout, engine #15107491.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 10:50 pm:

Can anyone beat the above number for youngest Model T engine serial number? Step right up...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

James, that's an impressive number. Anything more you can tell us about the car? Does it have that frame number as well? Could it have been a branch plant build? How about a pic of the whole car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

Sorry James but yours is a relative "geezer".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 08:25 am:

Here is a pic of my car, #15107491.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 08:57 am:

But Justin, do you have the '27 car to go with it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 09:17 am:

I believe that James is referring to the engine number since his is a replacement engine like mine and not original to the car..."Can anyone beat the above number for the youngest Model T engine serial number? Step right up..."

15107491 = May 1928
15154151 = March 1929

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 09:42 am:

If you look at the thread title and first posting, it appears to point to the highest serial numbered original car as opposed to just an engine which could have been made many years later. Of course it would be interesting to know about both the highest numbered car or engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 09:54 am:

From the original post "(per engine and/or frame serial number)"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 01:09 pm:

Dave, to your point, I think that it would be interesting to see both because the engine number is obviously a different subject after a point.

My guess is that most of the post-T production engines were used for power plants on saws, etc. but I could be way off.

It appears that these are the youngest in each category:
Lynn Meeks = Youngest matched frame and engine combination
Niels Anderson = Youngest frame
Justin Heim (myself) = Youngest engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 04:52 pm:

For what it is worth, and if I recall correctly, The gray racing car I had a few years back had a September 1927 engine in it. It was an original "modified for racing" flat-head with the biggest valves in it that could be put into a T block. The edges of the valves touched the cylinder walls, and the head-gasket required very careful modification in order to work. It ran fantastic!! I used to pass cars with over-head valves going uphill on the Endurance Run. There was a little more to the block than just the size of the valves.
Just another of the cars that I really wish I could have kept.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Where do you find the frame number?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 06:30 pm:

The frame number is usually found on top of the right side frame rail. Remove the floorboards and the number should be under where the passengers feet go. The number may very likely be covered with dirt and very hard to see. The frame may have to be cleaned or wire brushed to see the number. Sometimes, but rarely, the number is on the left side frame rail. Ford began stamping the engine number on the frame in this way on December 12, 1925, if I'm not mistaken, and this was done for TT trucks as well as for the cars.

Those of you who have given engine numbers in this thread should also check for the frame number to see if the numbers are the same.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Niels Andersen on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 01:42 am:

Justin H.
There is more information on existing frame no.15.007.600 (presently hanging on my wall) and even documented information on higher frame numbers (cars having existed) in posting: "In the Twilight Weeks of Model T Production" latest posting Sept.11th 2014.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 02:40 am:

Here's Niels' thread from 2014: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/477877.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 06:57 am:

Niels, I remember the thread. That is a very interesting piece that you have and the information to go with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 08:00 am:

Thanks Keith.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

John - You're welcome!

Have you been able to find the frame number for your '27 Touring? And if so, does it match with the engine number? Just wondering....

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration