Model A wheels on a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model A wheels on a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Hunboldt, TN on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 07:48 am:

Lang's offers wheel adapter plates that allows you to mount Model A wire wheels in place of your original spoke wheels. I presently have disc brakes on the rear of my 26 coupe with spoke wheels. Any one know if I will encounter problems installing the Model A wheels with Lang's adapters on the rear of my car? Thanks, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 08:10 am:

Why would you want to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 08:34 am:

Dave the model A wire wheels are significantly less expensive than model T wire wheels,I can't think of any reason other than that :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 09:34 am:

I would go the same route as Bob is thinking. He already has the brake kit that needs the 6-bolt hub. Using the adapters will allow him to retain the brakes he has and switch to wire wheels.

I would call Lang's and see if they have confirmed the fit with another customer. They are pretty good about returns so if you order a pair and bolt a wheel up finding out they won't work I'm sure they would take them back. I'm also sure they would like to know if there is a fit issue as the question will come up again (if it hasn't already).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 10:49 am:

My question is how will the gearing change going from 30x31/2 to 21" Thank's. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 11:04 am:

The circumference is the same. 4.5+4.5+21=30.
The 30x3 1/2 is measured by diameter of the outside of the tire which is 30 inches. The 4.50x21 is measured by the diameter of the rim and the width of the tire is added to the rim to make it also 30 inches.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 11:05 am:

I don't think there is a significant difference in overall height as I have the A wheels on one T and wood wheels on the other and I don't think they are much different. I have the adapters but no disc brakes so I can't help on that point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 11:25 am:

30X3-1/2 and 4.50X21' have the same OD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

Bob, you can't mount the adapters on your original wooden spoke wheel brake hubs with the disc brake rotors welded to them, without disassembling the hub from the wooden spoke wheel and mounting the adapter. If this is going to be a permanent installation, fine, but if you're going to be switching back and forth from wood to wire and wire back to wood, you're in for a lot of work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Hunboldt, TN on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 02:48 pm:

Terry... This will be a permanent installation.

Others....The 28-29 Model A wire wheels are the same size as my spoke wheels 21". I even intend to use my existing tires and tubes.

The reason is cost. The adapters are $600 compared to close to $1000 for wire wheel hubs.
I can buy a nice set of 5 Model A wheels right now for $100 compared to $400 for T wire wheels.

The total cost for "A" wheels installed is about $700 compared to $1400 for "T" wheels total.

My SS check only goes so far. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

Bob, I'm glad its a permanent installation. I would dread the alternative, if it were me. As I said previously, if you buy used hubs as opposed to new hubs, you'll find them a lot cheaper than new. I know I will have an extra set when I remove the existing hubs and mount a set that has the speedometer drive gear on the hub. I may even have an extra set of rear hubs, but that wouldn't solve the fact that you now have a wooden wheel brake drum and would need a wire wheel brake drum with rotor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Bob, I don't know if this will help or not, but Terry's offer of used hubs would make staying with original T parts cheaper. Also, the wood wheel brake drums you already have with the discs are easily re-drilled to take the 5 wire wheel studs, so you don't have to buy new drums/discs.

For what it's worth, in Aus 21" wire wheels and hubs are roughly $100 a piece, making a full set of 5 wheels and 4 hubs $900-1000 worth.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Hunboldt, TN on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 07:54 am:

Terry, I sent you a PM. bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 08:57 pm:

Making my own adapters do just this on my tt truck
Reason stated cost
Respoking costs alone decided this although i do like wooden spokes on a T
I think i be hard pressed just swap for the sake of wires the disc brake have altogether different rear hub for the wire wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

By the way i used a set of these and track width stay about the same as well

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration