Emergency brake problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Emergency brake problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

I finished building the rear axle and now put on the brake shoes. I made sure the shoes were round and got the rivets tight so the linings were tight. I trimmed the linings on the ends, but there was a little bit of lining (from the rivets to the end of the shoe) which stuck up and didn't lay flat against the shoe. When I put the drum back on the ends compressed but the drum is so tight, the wheels barely move. I know there is no adjustment, like on modern cars, so what now?
Also I know there is a left and right cam, and the brake levers should be facing to the rear? When I tried to hook up the rods they were too short. I switched the cams and then the levers faced to the front so I switched them back. What gives? You can see from the pictures where I have the front set, and the space at the rear.
Thanks again to everyone here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

26/27 brake rods are slightly shorter than the earlier rods for 09-25 small drum emergency brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

I had to make the ebrake linings thinner (ground them) to get the wheel to rotate freely on my 19

I remember in the 50's and 60's it was common to fit the brake linings to the drum. The was a machine that sized the brake shoe to the drum with a continuous arc to get the best contact

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Roger

The early rods to '25 are 54 1/8" overall with bend at the radius rod to hump over the rod.

The '26-'27 are straight rods, no hump bend.

Jon

As for the brake shoe lining's on your '26, test fit with the drum on the axle, no axle key. You may have to grind down the ends if they impinge on the rotating drum. The new linings on the shoes shouldn't be very much above the backing plate.

These are reproduction '26-'27 rods and they fit fine to my '27.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

If you don't have a free turning wheel with the clevis pin out and the brake activating cam flat the lining is too thick. The wheel must turn freely. This will also give you a bit more play in the linkage and you might be able to connect the clevis pin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 03:03 pm:

Roger, sorry, I should have said it is a 26.
The rods fit before I put in the new cams.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 03:19 pm:

Jon

Only a guess without seeing the set-up you have, the metal shoe edge must seat in the locking tabs, and then a good new spring to hold the shoe ends to the cam.

Unless the new cams are in wrong, there is a left and right, so the hole for the cam lever can be off if that is the happenstance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

And the older post where the cams got reversed.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/93302.html?1243683765

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 03:46 pm:

Don,
One more pic. I'm going back to my invoices and see if I was sent the 09-25 cams by mistake. They would have the hole in a different place due to the different length rods?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

Jon -- That is a '26-7 brake cam in your picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 06:54 pm:

yes, now to figure out why the rods don't fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

Were the old linings totally worn out and the bushings for the old cams too?
Then maybe an earlier owner got out of adjustment in the rods, cut some more thread in the front and shortened them to be able to use the parking brake until the very end?

Your new cams looks like modern repros made from two pieces pressed together - there has been an incident when a repro cam parted in two again, so I would have put some weld on the ends to get some more security holding the parts together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jon pederson, Minneapolis,MN on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 08:11 am:

Roger,
The car was a complete mess when I got it, the brakes had nothing but a few scraps of lining left.
The cams just rattled around in the bushings, so I guess anything is possible.
Does anyone have the length of the 26-27 rods so I can measure mine?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration