Original Tire Valve Stems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Original Tire Valve Stems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

I find it interesting, that the old metal valve stems manufactured by Schrader, Dill and Bridgeport seem to hold air longer than the modern rubber valve stems. After sitting for a year, my '13 touring was down 15# in the worst tire, 10# in another, and 5# in two. I find that almost amazing! Lets hear it for the valve stem makers that did things right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 09:37 pm:

Larry do you have original tubes? or most likely did you put stems in new tubes? if so do just cut out rubber stem and put in original hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:16 am:

I've been meaning to do an article on this. I actually did submit it, but they returned it to me because there was too much information. Half of it was on installing an old valve stem in a modern rubber stem tube. The other half was identifying the correct valve stems and dust covers to use in a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:37 am:

Too much information? Why not split it into parts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 06:04 am:

Paul - here is how to put stems in new tubes:
http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 08:55 am:

thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 09:49 am:

That is a great method of installing metal valve stems. I've been doing it like that for years, with no problems. I usually trim down the stem closer to the tube to save a little time.
A&L is the company that had the Model A valve stems reproduced. Wouldn't it be nice if Coker could do the same for Model T's, instead of those big fat vulcanized ones they are selling now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:19 am:

Larry, did you get my email about my tube and stem? My emails to you are still bouncing back to me several days later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

Are the metal stemmed tubes sold by the suppliers not good for some reason? I JUST installed 4 of them and three are still holding air after two weeks. The fourth went flat but that may be due to my forgetting to fit the bridging washer on that one . . .

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:08 am:

I didn't say the metal stemmed valve stems that are currently being made are no good. I said they are not like the originals. Do your homework! The current ones are too big a diameter, and are vulcanized to the tube. I believe they are most likely for a small truck or farm vehicle application. The dust covers aren't even the same, but they are close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Gee, Larry, I thought I WAS doing my homework by asking YOU who seem to know your onions what it is you didn't like about the current production items.

Why not show the ignoramouses like myself what the differences are? I'm sure others will benefit from your efforts too.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 07:37 pm:

Larry, where do you get your metal stems? I'd really like to find five (at least four) for my 21" tubes.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

To Stephen and Paul: I buy my old metal valve stems at swap meets. I usually pay anything from 50 cents to $5 for them. For a T, you want either an Schrader 888 or a 777. If you go any longer than that, you are really going to throw your wheels out of balance. A TR-16 covers all the 888's, but I've forgotten the TR number for the 777. Schrader is the most common, Dill is next, and Bridgeport is #3. The biggest difference is the originals are a SMALLER DIAMETER than the current repops, and therefore no parts are interchangeable. Next, the repops are vulcanized to the tube. The originals were not. Watch the link above, and that should answer most questions. Hope this helps, if not lets keep this going! BTW, TR stands for the Tire and Rim Assn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Larry, will any of these work or are they too short?
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/clamp-in-style-valve-stems

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

I would assume they will work, IF you have 26-7 wire wheels. I'm pretty sure that Don is buying them from A&L.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

I watched for them on ebay and found 10 of the 888 and then installed them in original tubes and they are working great. I found that they come up but in 1s and 2s so you need to win a number of auctions. Cheers Colin

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration