A Productive Week

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: A Productive Week
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:17 am:

The local car club to which I belong enjoyed two outings this week:

The first was on Monday, at the neighborhood intermediate school. _Two century-old horseless carriages attended (my '15 Touring and a 1913 White Speedster) and the kids absolutely swarmed over the old cars. _I was surprised by their enthusiasm. _Wish I could share photos of that, but no parents were there to give permission to post photos to the internet.

The other outing was today as three antique cars (the above plus a 1936 Packard V-12 convertible) traveled in caravan to Oheka Castle (the second largest residence in the United States) for lunch in their restaurant. _Photos taken at Oheka Castle below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oheka_Castle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 06:17 am:

Bob:

Same Otto Kahn who was the architect of Henry Ford's plants ? His son, Roger Wolfe Kahn , could have been the youngest popular society orchestra leaders of the '20's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 06:24 am:

Wiki link....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Hermann_Kahn

Found no connection with Henry as I first thought, sorry Bob.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 06:30 am:

Henry's architect was Albert..... Albert Kahn.

http://www.fordhouse.org/about/the-designing-of-a-home/architect-albert-kahn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 06:31 am:

Henry Ford's architect. Albert Kahn

Regards, John Page Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 08:24 am:

Otto Hermann Kahn, original owner of Oheka Castle, was a banker born of Jewish parents—just the sort of person whose lineage and occupation Henry Ford disapproved.

I, on the other hand am an insignificant nobody of whom neither Ford nor Kahn would have taken the least notice, but the present owner of Oheka Castle, mover and shaker among the super-wealthy and powerful that he no doubt is, took the time to circulate among the tables to greet, shake hands and chat with each person dining in his castle. _I thought that was very gracious.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 08:39 am:

Bob,

Very responsible of you to ask permission of parents to post images of their children on the internet.

Sounds like the kids had a blast.

Looks like you had beautiful driving weather to boot !

Great images.

Thanks for posting .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 09:25 am:

Freighter Jim,

Yeah, in this day and age, we have to be ever so much more careful about protecting our kids than was necessary when we were young. _As America has become more and more secularized—be it causal or nothing more than a landmark in time—the neighborhood and playground have become much more hazardous places to be a kid—and it has nothing to do with metal monkey-bars or steel-seat swings. _

And here we go: I remember when I was a kid during the summer break from school, we did our morning chores and then went out, played all day long wherever we cared to roam and didn't return home until supper time. _Parents didn't need to worry and while, yes, there were plenty of skinned knees, bruised elbows, and even a few chipped teeth, nothing of sick, evil intent ever transpired in my neighborhood among the children of the age of Camelot. _Oh, it's a different and much more frightening world, now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:38 am:

Bob,

HF's architect, Albert Kahn, was also Jewish. Henry had a complex relationship with Jews. The ones he seemed to hate were the cartoonish stereotypical ones depicted and described in anti-Semitic literature of the day. (Like the Dearborn Independent) While the Jews he personally knew appeared to be o.k. to him.

Just my take on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 01:08 pm:

"Roger Wolfe Kahn , could have been the youngest popular society orchestra leaders of the '20's"

Kahn had real musical talent and didn't let his privileged background stop him from putting together a terrific band and cutting some great records, real Model T era music.

Many back in the day thought the rich kid couldn't have the chops to play real music but he proved them wrong. His music turned out to be among the best of his era. I listen to his records often.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

Jerry, you do make a point. _My take on it is; whereas Mr. Ford would probably have had little use for the international banker, Otto Hermann Kahn, who made money out of money (and boy, oh boy, Ford published a great many articles critical of international bankers of the Jewish persuasion), Henry looked upon the architect, Albert Kahn, as a mega-talented producer of big, important things.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration