My knee replacement - Darel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: My knee replacement - Darel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:18 am:

Had a new left knee installed a week ago. Works fine. Need to exercise it as instructed. Back at work today at my store in Excelsior, MN. I enjoy this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Going out for football this fall? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:33 am:

How about Track & Field? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:46 am:

Glad to hear your recovering well. The best knee exercise would be pushing peddles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:54 am:

So, did you opt for the period correct model fitted with a grease cup or the updated model with the zerk? :-)

Glad you're on the mend!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:12 pm:

If you opted for the grease cup style, just remember to give the cap a half turn every morning before going to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:28 pm:

Steve Maybe Darel will go out for Broad jumping and pole vaulting. Broad jumping, you know the one with the long pole and the high cross bar! It wonders that do now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:33 pm:

Darel,
Good to hear all is going well so far with your new knee. Good luck with rehab,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Perkins / MN on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 01:15 pm:

Happy to hear you are on the mend.....will you possibly be able to make the Afton 4th of July parade?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

This is one of those rare times when the know-nothing newbie actually knows what he's talking about. _Darel, follow your doctor's instructions to the letter and do your exercises religiously. _As the proud owner of two new "Signature-Series" knees, I can say with authority that your recovery will be a direct reflection of the effort you put into it. _Get well soon and enjoy the driving season!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 02:29 pm:

Amen to what Bob advises. Painful as rehab is, it is critical to a full function recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 02:47 pm:

I have had both knees replaced (1 year apart)...do what Bob Coiro suggests. Remember...No Pain, No Gain. Do your exercises! Ice after exercises to reduce swelling. I bought an ice cooler with pump and knee wrap....worked great. Made by Don Joy or Breg.
The exercises are to gain range of motion and build up mussels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

You won't have to lean on the 1910 anymore…..

(Darel on the right, my father on the left.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

Orally, a tablespoon of MMO a day will lubricate the joint & keep the doctor away.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

Did they use Bronze or Babbit thrust bearings??
Seriously,,,,Isn't technology great...? Get Well Soon...!
Carl ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

I had my left one done 16 months ago. Do your exercises daily. If I don't, the joint works fine. The muscles, tendons, etc., get stiff really quick. But you won't regret getting it done as long as you follow the rehab program.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Darel, Me too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

They super glued my second replacement closed. Hardly even a scar. My first wound up getting a MRSA Staff infection. Put me up for 4 1/2 months. Was left one. Very hard to operate a Model T. Need some bright person to rig a hydrolic cylinder on the low gear peddle. There was at least one car built that used a hydrolic clutch. Would like to find parts for one and see if I could adapt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

I wish they had used super glue. Staples are ugly!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 01:46 am:

I think this forum is secretly building a bionic army to conquer the world and save it from the rest of the people.
I can dream? Can't I?

Darel L, Take care and do the right things to get well quick!!

Harry Daw, Just a couple years ago, my brother died from a MRSA staff infection from surgery for a broken leg. I am so glad that you are still with us!

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:52 am:

For Darel,

Ditto the above -- follow the doctor's advice & rehab program. It won't be long and "this too will pass" and be behind you.

For Harry,

If I understand you correctly, you are only have problems using your left leg on the clutch/slow speed pedal and most likely with pressing hard enough for the slow speed band to work properly than depressing it enough to put it into neutral? If you are serious about wanting to figure out a way to have a “T” driving experience with your current left leg situation, I would recommend you start a second thread. The guys and gals on the forum have a wealth of information and creativity. I’m sure they could give you some very workable ideas. For example – if possible purchase an older Ford. The 1906-08 NRS&SR Fords used the lever on the side of the car to work low, neutral, and high. You can drive those Fords using only one leg as you never need to push two pedals on the floor at the same time. From the left to the right the pedals are: Reverse, Transmission Brake, and then parking brake. And it drives and sounds very similar to the T.

I’m also sure that someone could come up with a system to control one or more of the pedals so you would only need to use one leg while driving your T. For example rigging up a lever to function as the low, neutral, and high lever of the N,R,S,& SR cars. No you cannot just purchase the NRS&SR lever to do that. But with some thought, work, and levers it probably could be done. Or as you mentioned to come up with an assist of some kind so when you applied the low speed pedal initially it would just be your foot pressure to shift into neutral, but some sore of power-booster to help engage the slow speed band. I think you want some similar to what the power brake booster on many cars do. You press the pedal and the booster does the work. If the booster fails, you would have to press harder but the pedal would still go down and you could still engage low speed manually.

Finally you might also talk with your doctor about what, if anything, you can do to strengthen your left leg so you can use it without a need for the power-booster etc. I have a knee that if I do my exercises regularly – it works well. But then it is working well so I stop my exercises. Then later it acts up because I quit my exercises. And I start my exercises again. That cycle repeats more often than I would like to admit. But in my case doing the doctors/rehab recommended strengthening exercises takes care of the problem. Which goes back to the original advice everyone has been giving Darel – do the rehab exercises and follow the doctor’s / rehab’s advice.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:07 am:

I was driving a normal car (Automatic Trans.) at 6 weeks. It took 3 months before I could safely pull my legs back to operate the peddles in our 13 model T. I had my right knee done first which is the one used for the brake peddle. Have early style R.M. brakes on our T which take a lot of pressure to stop....they are power brakes in the opposite direction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:32 am:

Knees are overrated. Just straight leg it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:23 am:

Thanks to all who commented. I am doing the exercises. I drove a modern car yesterday. I know the exercises are needed to keep the leg straight. Very important the first three weeks. The 1910 should be okay to drive. It is my two 1931 Model As that I will have to wait three or so more weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:39 am:

Darel,
At six weeks (double knee replacement, six years ago in June) I drove our Model N on the new London to New Brighton tour.
The pedals were difficult to operate, but I was able to do it. I did use an ice machine like Les described every night.

You also may be able to operate all three pedals with your right foot, pulling the lever into neutral instead of using your left foot on the clutch when stopping. I drove our Tudor for years that way because of little leg room (right foot/leg on the outside of the brake/high speed lever).

Good luck,
Rob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration