Useful shop kink...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Useful shop kink...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

...for drilling a hole through a cylindrical piece (such as a timing rod) and having the finished hole centered.

Place the part to be drilled in your drill press vise. Put a stiff pilot (center) drill in the chuck and balance a small ruler on top of the part to be drilled. Lower the drill point down until it touches the ruler. Did the ruler dip to one side? Probably, so move your vise/part until the ruler is parallel by eye with the drill press table. Remove the ruler and carefully drill a small dimple with the pilot drill. Swap out the drill for the desired finished size and drill through. Voila! A perfectly centered hole.

This works because the ruler (or other piece of straight, light stock) magnifies any error so that it can be see by the naked eye and corrected. I actually used this technique to drill the wrist pin hole in a home made piston once and it worked beautifully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

Now I have a nice hole thru my ruler, Just kidding

Yes this is a cool way to center a cutter in the lathe as well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:50 pm:

I usually use one of these
http://www.harborfreight.com/self-centering-drill-press-jig-92046.html

there is a grove in the bottom that you use to line up the drill before putting your work in there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

I too, have a number of "high end" centering gizmos but most of them stay in the tool chest nowadays :-).

And Gene you're correct....I use the same technique for setting up my lathe bits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 05:50 pm:

I use a angle iron but your's is nice!!! Bud in Wheller,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:02 am:

The same method works well for lining up a tool bit w/the centerline of a lathe spindle and tailstock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Barchock Canton, Mi on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:16 am:

OR just invest in V blocks...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 09:13 am:

I think I need to add something here....

The V blocks and angles are all work HOLDING fixtures.....they do not center the cylindrical piece under the spindle axis of the machine. You can get close by eye perhaps, but the ruler stunt will get it on dead center each time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration