Is this a Model T toolbox?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Is this a Model T toolbox?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Westcott on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

My wife's father has this toolbox that belonged to his father. He was told it went with a Model T. Can anyone confirm this or help identify it? (It does look different from what I've found in Google searches.) Dimensions are 17"L x 10"W x 11"H. The handle is leather.

Also any input as to value or ideas as to where/how to sell it would be appreciated.

Toolbox

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Its probably a Model T era tool box made sometimes in the 20's or 30's. There are several manufactures who made them.
I am not sure Ford made a tool box to go with a T but the aftermarket makers did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Jeff, it would be interesting to see if there are any holes drilled in the base to bolt the toolbox to the running board. No hole means the box was use as a carry box, hence the handle.

There were numerous variations in size, construction and locks on the boxes. You bought what you wanted.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:09 pm:

PM sent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

It's a Model T tool box if you want it to be. Ford didn't issue tool boxes. They were strictly an aftermarket accessory, and come in a wide variety of sizes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Westcott on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 10:42 pm:

Thanks for the replies! Allan, there are four holes in the corners of the bottom, plus a fifth hole in the center/bottom, so maybe it was used as a bolt-on accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

Looks small and tall it could possibly have been a battery box also. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

If it has a large hole in the bottom, then it would be a battery box, especially if there also vent holes in the back.

Does it have evidence of a different lock (holes where it would have been riveted to the box) instead of the padlock hasp shown? A padlock swinging on the hasp wears the paint and wouldn't be desirable when it's on the running board. You can see where a padlock has worn through the paint.

Similar battery box I picked up a few weeks ago - note the large hole in the bottom and the two vents in the back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

PS: if the person who purchases Jeff Wescott's box is interested in a hasp lock, I have them available - here is a sample:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 01:34 am:

Eric, I could use one of those locks, with a key.
I will PM you.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 09:49 am:

I am no authority on this type thing but I would say back during that time a battery in that box would be used for other things,perhaps to run a radio in the house. So I would guess the leather handle was a add on by the owner to make it easy to carry the battery in the house or shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 09:54 am:

The 10" depth (front to back) dimension is too big to fit on a Model T running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:04 am:

Keeping the battery box or tool box after the car was sold or junked was common. Adding a handle when it was no longer used on the running board was also a common modification as I have seen many examples of this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:22 am:

Went back to look after Eric's post and I'm seeing 2 bevel headed screws holding the handle on. Don't think it'd been manufactured like that. Might be on to something there. And what Steve said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:51 am:

Ford did in fact market a tool box. I've seen them in their catalog somewhere. They are not very big.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:35 am:

Larry, if you can find a picture and the part number of the Ford tool box, we'd love to see it.

I looked in my August, 1928 Ford parts book, and while it shows many accessories like wipers, polishes, paints, etc., it does not show a tool box.

BTW, my 1928 parts book has a Ruckstell rear axle section in the back.

:-)

(Message edited by cudaman on June 26, 2015)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration