Scary

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Scary
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

I ran this valve 900 miles this Spring. Better lucky than Good.
v
Will replace front cam bearing install adjustable lifters and stainless valves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 12:21 am:

Bruce McCalley (RIP) once told me that two piece valves were only good for throwing away....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Dean, did you just find it by luck? or were you looking for something ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 01:35 am:

Nice one! While not nearly the safety issue importance of Babbitt thrust washers? Two piece valves have long been basically second on my list of "May be tempting to use? But don't do it!"
Thank you Dean Y for the reminder!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:14 am:

Where is the broken piece? Did you find it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:40 am:

I agree with Tony. When I was involved with auto racing back in the dark ages, the first thing we would do to an engine was install Thompson Products single-piece valves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:57 am:

I didn't realize the stems were threaded in! I always thought the valves were cast around the stems. Oh well. I had an old '25 pickup for years with the original valves in it, and never had a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

I think the valve heads actually were cast around the shafts, though the shafts were made with ring shanks to stay in position. Mostly I think the tendency for some old two piece valves to break comes from 90+ years of corrosion. If there's corrosion on the shaft right where the valve head casting starts, then there's a higher risk for a metal fatigue break.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

Bruce McCalley (RIP) once told me that two piece valves were only good for throwing away....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:36 pm:

Gosh i have both engines with them guessing this winter i get them replaced but then my old standard buckets still worken good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 12:17 am:

Tom,
I knew there were two piece valves in the engine,
I was replacing the front cam bearing. It had a 24-27 bearing on a earlier cam.
Now I have the correct bearing adjustable lifters and stainless one piece valves.
P.S. I consider adjustable lifters just as bad as two piece valves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:44 am:

I had a two piece valve break off and put a hole through the head. They're one original part best not used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 10:09 am:

On one of our tours, one of the Runabouts developed a dead cylinder. It drove the tour for 50 miles, on 3 cylinders . When we removed the head #3 exhaust valve was missing. We never found the valve head and there was no damage to head or block. He had an old block laying around from which he took a valve, installed it as it was, no adjustment, and ran it for years. Model Ts are tough.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration