Painting a new Lang's 21" rim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Painting a new Lang's 21" rim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:28 am:

I just received my backordered new wheel that was drop shipped from American Vintage Rims. Lang's did tell me that these rims come zinc-plated. I want to paint the wheel. Does anyone know for sure whether I need to do anything special to the wheel before priming and painting?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Holderman Warsaw, Indiana on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 09:03 am:

I use muriatic acid on items zinc plated. Just wipe it on and wait until it is done bubbling. Then rinse it off good with water. Use rubber gloves and stay away from the fumes as it is nasty stuff.... It has worked for me for years and the paint sticks well yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 09:03 am:

Are you talking about the wheel or the rim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:54 am:

I wouldn't touch it! They are supposed to be zinc plated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:28 am:

Larry, if it's just one wheel I suppose it needs to be made to match the rest now.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration