Free start

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Free start
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

What is the best method to obtain a free start?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Don't know of a "method" to obtain one but if you are running a distributor you will never get one.

I advance the timing about 7 clicks, gas to half, key to Batt.

Sometimes she works but seldom and I am always pleasantly surprised when I get one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

I just set the gas and spark as I would to start on battery and turn the ignition to batt. It will either free start, or I will need to use starter or crank. If you are running coils, one will buzz whenever the timer makes contact. If the engine stopped at just the right place and there is fuel in the cylinder, it will free start when the coil is grounded through the timer. The starter or crank merely turns the engine to the point where the spark occurs. If the cylinders need priming, you will need to choke a bit and turn the crank before it starts, but you never know unless you turn the key to battery.

They will free start much more often if you are trying to show someone how to crank start. Another thing they will do more often when someone is watching is to flood.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

A free start is dependent on the alignment of things when the engine stops, and of course having your T equipped with a battery. For normal starting you'd ordinarily set the throttle to somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2, spark lever all the way up, then turn the key to battery. Sometimes, presto, it starts. More often it does not. Sometimes, when it didn't offer a free start, if you pull the spark lever down that will make enough of an adjustment to obtain a free start.

Of course the engine needs to be in good running order. Also, free starts seem to be, in my experience, more common after the engine is warmed up. On the other hand, I get one once in a while when cold starting. I'll set spark an gas levers then, with the choke pulled, give the engine two full 360 degree priming turns, then turn the key to battery and it starts running on it's own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 04:27 pm:

Richard I have a post about backfire and free starts and what I am worred about is blowing out the muffler. I can get more freestarts by advanceing spark all the way but if it doesent start I get a backfire. I remember my uncle blowing out his model A muff. when starting. John if you go past 7 clicks do you get a back fire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 05:55 pm:

Thanks for the answers. I thought it was probably a hit and miss situation as I can get it once in awhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:03 pm:

I "high idle" my motor right before I turn it off. Seems to help getting a "free start." Makes sense to me........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Someone else posted about a month ago about pushing the throttle to about 1/2 and idling about 5 seconds before turning the switch off.

I tried it and it did increase my percentage of free starts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Not sure if its my imagination, or just pure luck, but i seem to get a lot more free starts since i installed a TW timer. After a short ride after work tonight i decided to see if i could get a free start on vid, and behold...free start. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3xdjAB3maM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

The best way to get one is to demonstrate to a crowd how to start with the crank. Go through cranking and choking, then go to turn the key on to go back and crank for start, and you'll get a free start every time while the crowd says "ohhh! that's how you do it!" and you say..."no....no...no..."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

I retard the spark and advance the gas to above an idle. With the retarded spark it slows the engine down. I then turn off the key. I get a lot of free starts when I turn the key on to battery. I think doing it this way, leaves a little more fuel in the cylinders and increases the chances.
Have a stock 15 that will almost always start after full chocking and crank 3or4 quarter turns. Then turn the key on battery. It will start after setting for two or three months this way.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration