Brass top coil question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brass top coil question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 04:15 pm:

I just got these two coils on e-bay both spark good after cleaning points. but I see one has 4 screws on top other 6 our 16 has 3 coils with 6 screws. Anybody know what the 4 screw fits? Is it after market? I don't see any markings on any of the coils except the wood top is stamped ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 04:41 pm:

Hi Paul,

The four screw type is just a later version of the brass top coil used until they discontinued the brass top and went to just wood.

If you go to the encyclopedia on the home page and look at Coil Evolution all will be explained.

Hope that this helps. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

thanks Bill that is a very good info. I think I got it now. what I meant to say in first post our car has 3 coils with 4 screws and one wood top so I got the 4th 4 screw now it does start on it but it sparks on points bad so it needs condenser I guess. the 6 screw works good

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

There was a fantastic article in the Vintage Ford a few years back, and your subject is discussed in that article. All I can tell you at this point is the 6 screw is earlier, but I'm not aware of when they went to 4 screws. Maybe '16?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 11:14 pm:

The four screw tops are 1916 - 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:06 am:

Per the Model T Encyclopedia under Coil Evolution:

"5-14-15
Removed two center holes for the vibrator base (the brass top) screws., changing the number required from six to four."

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration