Accessory Hand Brake Extension

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Accessory Hand Brake Extension
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

I was talking with Larry Blair at the Tin Shed last week about using the handbrake on hills and generally in an emergency when the Rocky Mountain brakes are not up to the task as in going backwards. He uses his handbrake in such situations. I liked the idea but thought the lever too far away to grab in a tight spot. Either my arm is too short or my pasta pazzoo is to large to make grabbing the handbrake quickly in an emergency situation easy.

Larry, of course, had an answer. He uses an accessory lever extension that makes getting hold of that lever a piece of cake.

I have seen these for sale and decided to get one and try it out. The problem is that no one seems to have one for sale. Lang's had them but is sold out and has no new ones coming.

Does anyone know where I can get one of these things?

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 04:45 pm:

Paul, I didn't know O'Neils would have Pasta Pazzoos!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 04:47 pm:

Here is what Paul is talking about.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/411842.html?1388609704

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 05:12 pm:

It would be great if the old pasta pazzoo was limited to some other ethnicity than any I belong to but that is not the case . . .

Yes, this is just the baby I was looking for. I'm surprised that this accessory isn't more popular considering the shape of so many of my fellow Model T drivers.

I was recently involved in a procession of vintage cars carrying dignitaries to a local car show and the column got stopped on a hill. My Rockies would not hold me but by stomping really hard on the pedal I got into the recently adjusted transmission brake which did the job. Just the same, the handbrake would be nice to have just in case the trans brake wasn't adjusted correctly.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

Paul, Call Tim Morsher of Norwalk Ohio He is the man that had them repopped, I am sure there is a couple at his place yet. He sold all the tooling to Lang's after he made a few for his projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 09:50 pm:

Thanks Joe, I'll see if I can contact him. It would be too bad if this very useful device was no longer being made.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis K Anderson on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:43 am:

Here is my fix on the extension. ( if I can down load the picture)
Dennis Maryville Tn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 07:42 pm:

Well that's a bummer.
I'm approaching the point where I was going to buy one for my speedster project. I hope someone close to Lang's can convince them to start making them again.
However, several months ago, I saw a post, complete with pics, where someone had relocated the hand brake lever further back on the chassis and linked it under the floor to the rest of the cross chassis rod. It may have been on a different forum, because I cant find it here.
Cheers,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Moruya, NSW, OZ on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:09 pm:

Found it......http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/308674.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

Really enjoy the brake handle relocation to the outside and back on the speedster. Only thing now is I really miss the extra foot room with my 12xwides when driving the '24 Hack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

As I said on the thread linked by Rob P, on most of my speedsters, I do a double kink bend in the handle. There really is no reason not to do that in a stock T either (you do have to be careful of clearance with the seat). I don't need to bend them for stock Ts because of my lo-ong arms.
At some point, a couple/few years ago, I posted a couple pictures of different ones? But I cannot find the pictures.
Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, bending using heat in the car can provide the best fit and feel. But be very careful to not burn up the car!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

Someone might say something here about the 1911 Torpedo Roadster. Didn't they have the brake lever bent from the factory?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Hand-Brake-Extension-Vintage-Antique-Auto-E XTEND-YOUR-REACH-7-/301674621116?hash=item463d3568bc&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 06:49 pm:

I just missed out on that auction! That was exactly what I needed!

Vintage Paul, a day late and a dollar short . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Paul, contact the seller he has more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Thanks for the picture of your idea, Dennis! That's the kind of accessory that fits my budget since I can build it myself :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 11:51 am:

Thanks Ed, I just pinged them. We will see!

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard A Eddinger Sacrament Ca on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Hey Paul if you find any of the extensions let me know. I am looking for one also.
dneddinger@sbcglobal.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 11:07 am:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-T-Ford-Hand-Brake-Extension-Vintage-Antique-Auto-E XTEND-YOUR-REACH-7-/301680864976?hash=item463d94aed0&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

My but these things sell quickly! This one is gone already . . .

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

I just got one of these in the mail this morning and am delighted with the quality of it. It looks to be well made, the parts fit and move well. The semi-gloss powder will look great on my less than perfect flivver. There are no directions so I'm hoping that once I get it out to the car it be easy to see how it installs.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Monday, July 13, 2015 - 07:09 pm:

Sunday I got a bit of time to see about installing this great looking extension. A couple of issues cropped up.

First the lever is riveted together and I was reluctant to remove them. I might have gone ahead and done it but a trial fit showed that the extension would strike the dashboard before the lever was fully forward.

As far as I can see, that is pretty much an insurmountable problem. The extension will get wrapped up for use on a future car, one without the full dash.

My 1923 low steel runabout has the full instrument board, one somebody once said was typical of the 1924 high steel cars.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

Yesterday evening I installed one of two I bought from Tim Morsher. I was a little bothered by having to drill the rivet from the release lever but since it was being installed in my old assembled truck I decided to go ahead. It works really well and I am happy with it but may not want to alter the lever in my nice coupe. It sure makes using the hand brake more convenient.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul O'Neil, Fullerton, CA, USA on Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Tim Morsher, the fellow who was making these extensions emailed with a terrific idea:

"sometimes the brake lever is in too vertical of position. They will bend easily if you grab it down low with a big pipe wrench. I had a '27 roadster, and was able to bend it just enough to the left where the handle would clear the dash. The bonus is it gives you more leg room."

More leg room is an added bonus that would be most welcomed so I'll go out and have a look to see if bending the lever might help. If my car were an original car it might bother me to do this but my car was built from a pile of mixed up parts so little originality will be lost.

Vintage Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 12:26 am:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173692

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 07:46 pm:

So I bought the last one Tim had advertised on EBay. It arrived in the mail today and it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you Tim!! Now to decide which one of the fleet to install this one....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 20, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

There are more and bet they come from the same guy. See my posting above.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration