Open express to cab conversion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Open express to cab conversion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 04:42 pm:

I bought another T early this year which was a cobbled up open express. It is titled as a 25 but the motor is a 20 and the pedals are 26-27. The wheels were Chevy and welded to the hubs. Mechanically though it seems to be a good little T which runs well and has a Jumbo Giant under drive. I bought some adapters from Langs and found some A wheels at Chickasha. Then I started cutting up some air dried ash and made a cab with windows that go up and down to keep out some of the daily rain we've been getting. The beaded ceiling is catalpa. The brass bell is from a street car. I'm really enjoying it but as I was used to my coupe which has RM brakes stopping this thing requires much more distance. Anyway, thought you guys might enjoy a few photos. I tried for a "barn fresh" look and am pleased with the outcome. Comments welcome--good or bad!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Love it! Why the choice of Catalpa for the ceiling, because it was available, or because it has special properties or a special look?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

It was all rough lumber and it was sold to me as ash. When I ran it through the planer it was darker and softer. It had a fragrance as well. I separated it from the ash and decided to use it for the ceiling. It really is nice to work with. Thanks for the "Like"!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

John, Very nice, all good and no bad as far as Im concerned. Nice detail with the bead around the panels and windows. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:40 pm:

John, I like it, my next project after I finish my coupe is to build a similar unit to yours. Yours looks great. Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:48 pm:

looks good! nice job! just paint the bed to match half-fast good one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

Thanks guys. The arm rests double as supports for the windows in the raised position. The rear window goes up and down also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Paul, do you mean I should paint the bed black? I have been considering that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 07:22 pm:

yes John I think it would look better if it matched the cab the cab looks like it was always on there well done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson - Kingwood, Texas on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 07:31 pm:

Very nice. Great job John!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

John,

It looks great! Nice workmanship on the cab.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Yeah, the latter-day cutesy-think that bare wood is, ... well, "cute", but it sure doesn't represent how
they were taken care of back in the day. Not painting (or staining/oiling) wood leads to early decay.
Bare, clear coated wood doesn't hold up well to weather without a high degree of maintenance.
Most owner/users of trucks were more interested in doing lots of work with the least amount of
maintenance. Period photos do not show many that weren't painted. Nice work on the cab. I'd
paint it all black too. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration