Alternator question...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Alternator question...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

Just put on a new 12 volt alternator. Is there supposed to be a voltage reading (I assume around 12 to 14 volts) at the terminal? I can't get any reading at all... Will I hurt anything if I run it for now not hooked up to anything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

Im assuming its one of Becker one wire alternators. Unlike a generator it will not hurt it to run without being tied into the system. But yes, you should see at least 12v.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

My 6V one-wire alternator has a definite "cut-in" speed that is well above engine Idle. Once the alternator has reached that "cut-in" speed, it starts charging and continues to charge, even when engine speed is reduced to Idle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

You're right Mark, I did fail to mention that. The engine needs to be way over an idle to start charging

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

The typical Model T wiring has the generator connection to the ammeter and the other side of the ammeter connected to the battery. If it is wired correctly and the ammeter is functioning, there WILL be the battery voltage at the generator/alternator connection.
As an aside, the alternator will draw some current, not much but about 0.05 amperes from the battery when it is not rotating. Thus if you leave the battery connected for about two months without driving, the battery could be discharged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

Yeah, I have some alternator issues too, but rather than hijack the thread, I'll post about it later and separately.

I can tell you that it's not healthy to run an alternator without it feeding your battery. _It'll overheat that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 09:22 pm:

Thanks for the info. I did see about 2 volts when I increased the rpm's. I just drove it a couple of miles and it wasn't hot at all. I'll continue to "play" with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:06 pm:

Without the engine running you should see battery voltage at the alternator, at least 12 volts at the alternator if the battery is fully charged
With engine running fast after it kicks in it should read at least 14 volts, but on most German cars they could read as low as 13 volts.
Some makes as high as 15.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration