Tire Irons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Tire Irons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 08:49 pm:

Tried a half hearted search but got nowhere so I was wondering if any body could post a picture and give dimentions for the tire iron. I understand they weren't marked and probably get mistaken for just plain pieces of metal. I've never, I think, come across one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

second choice for a tire iron is a spring leaf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

I went in to an auto parts store about ten years ago to buy a tire iron. Young guy behind the counter had no idea what I was talking about. Older guy knew but said they don't carry them any more. Sent me to a Harley dealership. Bought some there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:51 pm:

I am sick of TV shows that document a murder with a tire iron when it was actually a lug wrench.
Or a jack handle.
There is a difference.

Tapered leaf spring leaves make good tire irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

Harbor Freight has some good tire irons. I have 2 of them that are about 2 feet long. They have shorter ones as well but I like the leverage of the long irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:09 am:

We sell new ones as well, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:24 am:

My 1924 cut-off touring came to me with what I believe is a full set of the "regular equipment" tools (plus a Ford screwdriver, which would not have been included in 1924, since one handle of the pliers was modified to be a screwdriver).

Here is a picture of a pair of the Ford tire irons. They are a little over 10 inches long, and 3/4 inch wide in the center section. They both have a double curve to them, either they were made that way, or they got that way from use, I don't know. The wrench next to the one iron is just there to help hold it on its edge.

Hope this helps. :-)

irons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:45 am:

Thanks Mark. That's about what I expected. A piece of metal that looks like some one used it for something else and is just a beat up piece of scrap. No wonder they don't turn up. I notice the paint coating on the irons and wrench. I have an adjustable Ford wrench with a similar coating but 99% of the Ford tools I have only have a rust like patina. Where they painted? Or perhaps they were coated for a number of years then stopped?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:46 am:

Mark -- That curve at about the 3" mark is from use. They were flat originally, with just a bit of a curve at the very ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 10:03 am:

Ditto.

Here's a pair of "unmolested" ones:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 10:27 am:

There was a nice elderly couple who sold these tire irons which, I was told, were made specifically for the Model T. _They work very well, indeed. _The phone number stamped into the metal reads, "616-794-0433." _Back in 2010, Dean Yoder posted this photo:

I don't know whether these are still being produced, but if not, and you come across a pair on e-bay or a swap-meet, I suggest you nab 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Their pretty cool Bob but I don't think they'd be considered orig. to a Ford tool set. Ken & Mark's examples look acceptable. Ken's really look the part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 11:38 am:

Quite correct, Charlie; these tire irons are not in any way original Ford equipment. _I don't remember the name of the couple who made and sold these tools, but the lady told me they had, themselves, custom-designed them for use with wood-spoke-wheeled Model T Fords. _

Peeling tires off the rim and levering them back on is one of my least favorite antique car chores. _Oh, changing Firestones on my Schwinn used to be a piece of cake back when I was a kid (and it did teach me how not to pinch tire-tubes with metal tools, which enables me to eschew flaps on my Model T), but nowadays, it's just an opportunity to injure my back. _These irons—along with a jumbo-sized pair of C-clamps and my trusty Marquette Tire Tool—make the job doable, if not fun. _Now, if only I could find a Sioux tire tool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 12:48 pm:

I got an extra one at a motorcycle store. Works great. That little hook on the end is very important

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 12:55 pm:

Sounds like I have some straightening work to do on mine. I don't use them to mount or dismount tires, I have a set of 18 inch long tire levers with spoon-shaped ends that I bought at a motorcycle shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

My observation is that as I get older the irons need to get longer. The original Ford irons don't give me the leverage I need anymore. I carry a couple of 2' irons under the rear seat these days and they make the job a lot easier. I still carry the Ford irons but mostly for show however they do come in handy occasionally to keep a slot open when moving the longer irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

I found these in an old Snap-On toolbox from the 1940s that I cleaned-up. They are 16" long. I like the curved ends better than the ones with straight-cut ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

The early T's appear to have used Diamond Brand tire irons, although Fisk and Firestone also made an identical one. The last year these appear to have been used is 1913, at least that is what is shown in the parts books. The unmarked tire irons pictured above were used until the end, although one end of the jack handle used from late '24-27 has a tire iron end on it. Hope this helps some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stanley L Brown Drury, MA on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:51 pm:

Gemplers sells a whole bunch of tire irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 11:11 pm:

Did someone say tire irons :-)
I never set out to have so many tire irons, they just sorta happened over the years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

They turn up pretty often, I have bought several at flea markets for a buck a piece. KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration