Neoprene axle seals

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Neoprene axle seals
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alex mc dougall on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 10:47 pm:

Hi i have been lurking on this forum for seven years now and find it to be most helpful and informative.

My first post on the forum is regarding the newer type rear axle neoprene seals with the reduced diameter of the rubber section at the backing plate, I have been unable to get this type to seal as well as the earlier ones with the full rubber diameter.

Can anybody help with a supplier of the old type seals? Alex

(Message edited by adminchris on July 01, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Friday, June 26, 2015 - 11:16 pm:

Hi Alex, and welcome to the forum. Are you talking about the new outer seals sold by most vendors that look like this?
https://www.modeltford.com/item/2510NB.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 12:55 am:

Alex, We make the seals. The original axle never had a seal at this location. You simply pushed in felt seals beyond the end of the bearing. There is little room for a seal at this point and the dimension between the end of the sleeve and the inner metal rivet ring varies. So we added a relief groove to the outer edge of the seal so there would always be room for the seal. The seal is held in place by the sleeve. So be sure to drive in the sleeve until it seats against the seal and pushes it against the rivet ring. It then will provide a good seal. If you want you can add some sealant on the rivet ring side. But be sure that the sleeve is pressed fully in. Mac's Antique Auto copied our design but copied the old original design without the relief. So you can get a pair from them if you wish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 03:10 am:

I've got Glenn's seals and was made aware of the poor copies out there. Go with Glenn's and you won't go wrong, I'm glad I did, no issues for two years of a lot of driving here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 06:31 am:

I have Chaffin's axle seals in the Ruckstell rear end I rebuilt. They are a breeze to install and work flawlessly. Next axle I tackle I will again be ordering from Chaffins. Quality product and works as advertised. Can't ask more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

George, Kevin, Thanks for the kind comments. They are rare here on the forum. Most responders just want to find fault and show how smart they are. I think the inner seals are a great asset to the Model T Ford as are most of the other products we manufacture. Just trying to support the hobby and all of our customers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

You need to wrap the axle keyway with tape so a sharp edge can not nick the seal lip. If the lip is nicked the seal will most likely fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

Your absolutely right Ted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By alex mc dougall on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

Many thanks to all for good advice,particularly to glen prepared to promote a competitors product,must be a real gentleman.
The axle rivet ring on one side of the axle has some damage [1910 six rivet]
The original larger seal works fine,probably because it covers a bigger area of the damaged ring.
This forum has been a great help to me in restoring and running my car.
alex

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:01 pm:

Glenn, like John Reagen, giving credit where credit is due.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

If I remember correctly, a design for this type of seal was published in Lesley R. Henry's book prior to 1970, and I created a similar seal around that same time- in fact that was the 1st product I produced for sale back then. One thing to be aware of is the height of the rivet heads in the rivet ring can vary quite a lot and prevent the seal from locating properly and this may require that some of the rivet head get removed for proper installation. Just something to be aware of- regardless of the source of the seal.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration