1913 Engine Slowly Coming Together

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1913 Engine Slowly Coming Together
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

This '13 block has taken a lot work to get it to this point. Task included brazing up cracks in water jacket, sleeving all cylinders, installing hardened inserts, added threaded inserts to all head bolt holes, pouring new babbit and balancing rods before installing scat crank.

I have not joined the 2-piece crank shaft club yet....hopefully I never will.Engineengine2engie3engine3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 05:18 pm:

With i Scat crank you won't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

Hey Les: I bought a '13 engine down your way a year ago. It has a small crack in the water jacket, but other than that, it appears it might someday be ok. The most interesting thing about this engine is it still has the original hand crank in the pan, with the riveted pin holding it all in. Hopefully someday I'll get around to doing something with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:47 pm:

This block needed a lot of work. Besides the crack in the water jacket, there were deep porosity pits/holes in the original cylinder walls. The local machine shop that did the bore/sleeves said the porosity may have went in to the water jacket. The mains are drilled on both side of each web. The rods are also drilled on top like the model A rods for better oiling to the piston skirts and wrist pins. This engine will have a 280 cam, advanced timing gear and Z head. Will be interesting to see how it performs in comparison to the existing engine.
It seems strange to pull the engine that we have been running for 15 years out of our 13 when it runs great....however, it does have the early crank. Also been running an early cast iron power head that has the combustion chamber shaped like the Z head but with less compression.

In addition to all this......first time for pictures. Will try and do better on pictures next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:01 pm:

Larry... I think you need to sell it to me! Ha

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration