Pleasant Surprise in my Trans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Pleasant Surprise in my Trans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

I bought new '27 Touring a bit ago and ripped into the trans to take a peek today, the previous owner stated it has all been rebuilt for reliable driving- that seems to be true; looks like good Kevlar, new drums and clutch fingers and spring.

Just wanted to pas it by your eyes as well- whaddya think? Any issues?

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:54 pm:

The low speed band seems to be near the end of adjustment in comparison to the brake and reverse bands. I question why, it should not be in a reliable rebuild. IMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

A few turns of that nut, and it's good as new.

Looks good James. Only comment I have is that I would normally put some turns on that wire that is going through the bolt holes of the clutch drive plate to make it a little more tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 09:10 am:

Great photo - Thanks. Now I know what all those little washers I have with the upset are for...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 09:28 am:

I agree with Jack, that middle band is almost touching on the ends, and that leaves little room for adjustment. By the time the peddle is depressed, the gap would be closed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 11:13 am:

You have quite a bit of space between the ends. Your low speed notch and cam are worn which causes the ear on the side toward the pedal to be farther to the left than normal. The temporary fix would be to back off the adjustment for the low band until the band can be rotated so the left end of the band is past the end of the shaft. Be sure to put in rags when you do this so nothing falls into the transmission. Put one or two washers on the end of the shaft, enough to bring the left ear in line with the reverse and brake bands. Then adjust the low band so the low engages about 1 1/2 inch above the floorboard. Then put the transmission in neutral. Remove the rags. Roll the car forward. The engine should not turn when you push the car. Then crank the engine. The car should not move when the crank is turned. If so, You are ready to drive. The low band will last longer too.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

The low speed drum may have been lathe turned.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration