Brass radiator re-core

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Brass radiator re-core
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 07:03 pm:

Has anyone here ever re-cored an original brass radiator with a flat tube style core as part of a total radiator restoration? If so, who would you recommend to do the job? Were you happy with the work? Things to avoid/pitfalls? Etc. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:13 pm:

R.V. Steve Jelf has done just that I am sure he will chime in with his experiences and perhaps a recommended repairer.

We have one here in Aus, but you won't like the freight bill.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:45 pm:

RV,I bought a core and built my brass radiator my self. One heck of a job. Steve had his done and it looks good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

I had one done by a very reputable company in St Louis. They thought they would help me out by polishing the brass with a power wire wheel. After a lot of sanding, I finally ordered a new one from brass works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:27 pm:

R.V there is a guy in Springfield Mass who might do it send me a pm if you want his contact info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

The guy Steve Jelf used is the one recommended by Rob Heyen, who had him re-core some pre-T radiators. The guy is in northern Kansas. I have his name and address at my shop, but Rob or Steve probably will provide them before I get back there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 11:46 pm:

R.V., Tom's radiator in Sabetha KS has done four brass radiators for me, including a total re-core of our Model K rad with flat tube core. I will send his cell if you would like, just drop pm,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 11:48 pm:

I won't take the time to post a picture, but here's the info: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/514318.html?1422560100

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:22 am:

Harry, Would that be Affton Radiator? The radiator that he built for my brother's 35 Ford panel truck hot rod was a very poor build with it taking way longer than promised and then they tried to over charge for it. I would recommend Al's radiator. Had a lot of radiators and gas tanks done by them and have not had any problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:54 am:

Who ever you get to do it, make sure that it gets the reinforcing plate that go's through the core from mount to mount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 08:35 am:

Hello RV:
I question the consequence of having a nice original part but where a repair inadvertently makes the part look like a hack effort. I would first confirm that my choice of technician has previously demonstrated this skill.
Regards,
Scott
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 10:12 am:

This is our K radiator with a new core. We chose an oval tube core because no round tube core were available, and the wait time to have one built, and expense were considerable. Tom also repaired some brass blemishes on the radiator. This radiator has many challenges, including the crank box and fan brackets attached to the back side of the core:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 11:58 am:

I'd say that if Tom can handle a job like that Model K radiator, one for a T should be a piece of cake. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

I took our 1912 radiator in for a re-core to a radiator shop near by and it came back very well done except it didn't have the cross brace.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 01:24 am:

I'm with Frank on the necessity of the mounting bar on a brass radiator. Without it the weight of the radiator and the wracking of the frame will tear the soft solder joints apart. Many brass radiators already have reinforcements added over the joint between the side plates and the top tank, because that joint is prone to come adrift.

It is a little different with later radiators with shells. Here added reinforcements can be added to the side plates. Most accessory radiators had these, and they work satisfactorily.

Just my opinion. Yours may vary.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 09:02 am:

I have built several radiators from scratch... see my profile. Not sure how radiator shops do recores, but I would start from a basic repro/replacement T core with headers (Brassworks) and recover and reuse the old tanks. But that is a lot of work...removing and cleaning up the old tanks and making them fit the new headers. Again, not sure how a radiator shop would do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

I had a 1912 radiator recored by Tom, I had a friend take it to him after 2014 Chickasha pre war meet and picked it up 2015 day before Chickasha,Tom was aware of that time frame. I went with flat tubes for cooling. It cost $700 to do and was well worth it. Tom did an excellent recore & knocked out a few dings. I was very please with it. The reason Tom got it was because I took it to a local guy (Mike) I've used for years with black era radiators, he does outstanding work on those but was not so handy with the brass radiator. I took it in to him to repair a leak that almost drove him mad trying to repair it. For fair balance he just finished two black era radiators for me this last week and again wonderful job, the price was under 300. He's got my black radiator business but Tom has the brass business. I might add the brass had been polished by Tom and was beautiful. To quote a Clint Eastwood character "a mans got to know his limitations" Mike now knows his and I have a new nickname after his brass radiator experience. Cheap Brassturd, ha. Tom is great.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration