Large timing gear notch....?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Large timing gear notch....?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 07:37 am:

I pulled the large timing gear off the camshaft last night....after a battle with the nut the gear came off without a problem. It's a four spoke steel gear and still in remarkably good condition with nice, sharp teeth and very little wear. No, I didn't check the backlash first but I've worked with a lot of spur gears and both gears look very good to me.

There are two dowel pins that match two holes in the gear. Fine. There's also a "dimple" in the back of the gear that matches a "bump" on the front of the cam, so it can only be installed one way. Fine.

My question is, if I find that I have to replace the large gear with a modern version, either aluminum or nylon, do they also have this locating dimple in the back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 07:55 am:

That all sounds new to me, the gear can go on either way, Ford or after market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 11:10 am:

It doesn't matter which way the gear is put on the cam as long as the dowels are in the holes in the gear and the dimple at the teeth aligns with the dimple on the crank gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 11:29 am:

That's not the dimple he is talking about if I read it correctly. He is asking about a dimple on the mating surfaces of the gear and cam shaft not the timing marks. This is new one on me too. Photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 11:38 am:

I'm beginning to think I have a rarity of some sort! I'll get a pic up as soon as my "photo technician" (wife) can get to it. Are there any special instructions for posting photos on the website?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 11:45 am:

Uh....never mind. Did you ever make one of those really bone headed, dumb mistakes? You know, assuming something without checking it thoroughly? Well, you have to man up and admit it then.....

There is no "dimple". It was nothing more than a hardened blob of yuck, formed by a third hole in the camshaft flange. When I went to wipe it off a bit for a picture, the whole thing came off.

Time for more coffee..........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:05 pm:

"It's a four spoke steel gear"

Are you sure that it's steel? I thought original gears were cast iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

It happens to all of us. :-) I was going to ask about a glob (blob)! Are they cast steel or cast iron?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Years ago, I think it was in "Tinkerin' Tips", reference was made to 4 spoke timing gears as being superior in some way. I cannot recall how they were considered superior. Perhaps it's a bit like the EE crankshaft idea.

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration