How do I properly bypass a cut out on a generator?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: How do I properly bypass a cut out on a generator?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Generator is smoking and I think cutout is bad. No charge or discharge on amp meter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Ground the output from the generator to one of the screws on the outside of the generator. Do not run the car without the generator grounded. When you have the time, remove the generator and either test and repair it or take it to someone whom you can trust to do so. You will most likely need a rebuilt generator and a new cutout.

Two things can happen to a standard cutout. 1. The points stick and current from the battery goes into the generator when the engine is not running. This can cause wires to get hot and usually something such as the generator itself, or the ammeter melt down maybe the wire will melt down. 2. The cutout goes open and the generator tries to charge what what would be percieved as a dead battery so the generator puts out maximum charge and melts down. If you are lucky you might save the generator by re-soldering the armature windings. Most likely need to rewind the generator.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 10:54 am:

By the way, I didn't answer your question. Do not bypass the cutout it will cause #1 of the above.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

Picture 1 before the ground/ bad cutout.

Picture 2 after the ground and in my description bypassing the cutout.

Have I done this correctly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:47 pm:

Yes. I would take the cutout off, ground to the same screw and wrap tape around the hot battery wire to eliminate any possibility of a short to ground if the points close some how or remove the wire from the terminal block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, June 29, 2015 - 12:22 pm:

be sure and take Mark's advice

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration