LARK trailer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: LARK trailer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Does or did anyone ever own a LARK brand cargo trailer?

Did you love it or hate it.

Second question. Does anyone haul their T in a double axle trailer with brakes on only one axle?

Input is much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Tom I think you will find most double axle trailers will only have brakes on one axle unless special ordered. States I think differ on this but it has a lot to do with axle weight ratings and so forth. One brake axle is usually sufficient especially on trailers 16 feet or under. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kevin findley on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 11:41 am:

This might help with the brake questions.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-brakes/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark heathman on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 11:49 am:

TOM..YOU WANT A CAR TRAILER NOT A CARGO TRAILER. THERE ARE BIG DIFFERENCES. REMEMBER YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. IF YOUR USAGE IS SMALL AND WILL NOT BE MANY YEARS A CHEAP TRAILER WILL DO. CHEAPER TRAILERS LOOSEN UP WITH USAGE AND GENERALLY DETERIORATE FASTER WITH TIME. DEFINITELY GET A POINTED NOSE. ADDITIONAL LENGTH IS NOT EXPENSIVE NOR DOES IT ADD THAT MUCH WEIGHT OR DRAG. COMMON LENGTH LIKE 24 FOOT WILL PAY BACK WHEN YOU SELL.
MARK HEATHMAN
IOWA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 04:25 pm:

Tom & Keith...my Interstate trailer has double axles with brakes on both axles. Stops fantastic! This trailer has 6" frame, sidewall ribs 16" O.C., whereas a lot of 'em are on 24" centers and with 4" frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Tom,

Mark is correct.

You want a car hauler trailer - not a cargo trailer.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

Do not confuse a cargo trailer with a car hauler. Most car trailers have tandem axles and a brake for each tire. A cargo trailer may have two axles, but brakes on only two wheels or one axle. A car hauler is usually 8 1/2' wide where as a cargo trailer is 8'. There are some who get by with a cargo trailer, but I would not be one of them. Use your brain and not your wallet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

A cargo trailer has "barn doors" on the back, a vehicle trailer has a drive in rear door & a dove tail to get rid of the insane angle of a cargo trailer. on Quality trailers the rear door mounts have zerk fittings in them for lube. The rear door will last forever. I do not think you can find a Quality vehicle with "barn doors" Featherlite, Ameri-lite & the other good names all have drive in rear doors
I cannot agree more with Kevin Holland, you might get by with a cargo trailer, but why would you want to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:14 pm:

Tom,
Don't know if you have towed trailers much in the past, but you'll have to have a brake controller also. Many, if not most, newer trucks have them built in, but if you don't have one of those, make sure the one you buy is an inertia type. I made the mistake of buying a time based controller. BIG mistake!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:26 pm:

Yes, a good controller is a must. I use the Tekonsha Prodigy P2 in all 4 of my trucks & have never had a problem with them. They are about $119.00 & you can purchase a small vehicle specific harness for a few bucks more to plug it directly to a spot on most newer fuse boxes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 08:55 pm:

To the expert/If the front of the trailer goes up will the back come down?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:00 pm:

My commercial enclosed car hauler trailer was built to my custom specifications.

My commercial enclosed car hauler trailer has a GVWR of 14,000 pounds.

My commercial enclosed car hauler trailer has a 34 foot box that has a rear door height of 94 inches.

My commercial enclosed car hauler trailer has an 8 inch full perimeter steel tube frame and a center 8 inch steel tube center support ran from the center of the tongue to the first axle.

My commercial enclosed car hauler trailer has (2) layers of 3/4 inch treated plywood flooring.

My commercial enclosed car hauler trailer has an 8000 pound cargo capacity.

My commercial enclosed car hauler trailer has rear cargo doors which cost more than a rear ramp door.

It does not - however - have a checkerboard dance floor .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:18 pm:

Regarding a rear dove tail ....

Most manufacturers cut the framing member to get the angle needed to obtain a dovetail.

That significantly reduces the structural integrity of the frame behind the axles.

Which can lead to flexing of the trailer frame and subsequent " racking " where the trailer vibrates apart ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

Your "so called" commercial enclosed car hauler didn't make it 2 months without the tongue coming off either.
Jealousy is an ugly trait, but if I was in your situation I would be jealous also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Kenneth,

I always try to load & unload on a upgrade when possible.

I load & unload all vehicles with a wireless remote control winch - I line up the vehicle straight and do not have it running.

For loading - this prevents the vehicle from rolling too far forward when it gets inside.

For unloading - this allows the vehicle to roll off using gravity & the power braking of the winch.

No doors opening & closing in the trailer = no body damage.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Also, why is it that you have so many aliases & never post your full name in any of your ads? Could it be because you do not want anybody to do an internet search of your past??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Just joined February 4th, 2015 Bill ?

Claiming to be " Your QUALITY Model T Transporter "

Try being around here for a few years first ..

Maybe buy an MTFCA membership ...

Yeah - my hitch started to crack - I caught it because I inspect my trailer every day.

But the manufacturer paid to have it fixed ....

Regarding your rear ramp door theory you represent as factual ....

This 1996 F250 4WD extended cab pick up truck would have crushed a ramp door.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

My grandson who just got back from Alaska was telling me at the jeep/dodge dealer he looked at and test drove a dodge 3500 dualy with the 500 plus hp cummings and the truck has air ride all around?? Bud. PS,I sure like the looks of the extra long side doors!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

I will be glad to buy a membership only after you start posting your full name on your ads & explain to all the good people on this site why you have been banned from so many other car sites!

I will also stand on my 30+ years of experience with almost 3 million accident-free transport miles & the respect of hundreds of customers all over the world

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Hey Bill, you first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

Please see my ad in the classified section for all my info. I post my full name in all my ads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Wow, I can't believe where this post has gone!! Tom, On a two axle trailer, one axle brakes can be a blessing in slippery conditions in that it will track better and jack-knife less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 10:50 am:

I'm not sure about all states,but i do not think you can buy a new trailer in Michigan without brakes on all axles?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

If you buy a two axle trailer with brakes on only one axle, then make sure the brakes are on the REAR axle if it has equalizer springs. If mounted on the front axle the brakes will lock up easily and leave nice black marks on the pavement but will do little to slow you down. On the rear axle the weight shift of applying the brakes pushes the front of the rear axle down increasing the weight on the axle being braked increasing its effectiveness without locking up the wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 01:50 pm:

Bill, your attack on Jim here is a bit OFF. looks like both of you are in the same business. It takes away from ones credibility sometimes by attacking the other. Jim has been here and posted many times helpful ideas to us all. We have shared his experiences as well both good and bad.

I think that if anyone wants to find out more about either of you they are surely able to do that on their own.

Jim those side doors must be Really great. I have one on each side and are really worth the money. not sure about the extra hinges, hee hee

Can't we all Just Get Along

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:14 pm:

Jim has transported for the museum in Richmond.

He is on here all the time helping others with transport.

I have seen nothing but positive posts regarding Jim and I do not even know him, and may never need his services.

There may be some history that he does not want to broadcast, but I feel the same way about mine. All of us have incidences in the past that we wish we could do over. That is history now.

Let us look to the future and do what we can to better ourselves. We learn from our mistakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 02:33 pm:

Gene & Dave,
I will respect your wishes & not post any more negatives about him. After all it is up to each individual potential customer to do the amount of research on a transporter that makes them comfortable.
My first 2 posts in this thread were in response to other posters (brake controller & how much better a vehicle trailer is) but again, I will respect your wishes
I am always looking to learn from my mistakes in life.
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

Bill, Thanks for posting. It's good to know we have another guy here in the transport business.

BTW I don't see your last name either.

My pet peeve is guys that don't post there location with their name. Sure does make a difference sometimes when giving advice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bills Auto Works on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Gene,
My full name is Bill Squires (owner) Bill's Auto Works I am based in Northern Ohio. Wakeman, is what we use for our mailing adr because our township does not have a post office
I always post my full name in my ads on all of the sites including here

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

That F250 wouldn't crush the ramp door on a trailer built for the purpose of hauling cars. I own Lincolns that weigh more than that and have moved them in a 24 ft. Haulmark. Didn't crush the ramp door and a Haulmark isn't close to Wells Cargo in terms of quality.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson---SW Wisconsin on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 12:06 am:

Yeah, one night our driver backed our late model race car hard into the wall. I didn't want to tear the heck out of the floor by trying to get it in the 25 foot haul mark trailer. So I was going to call a rollback to haul it back to the shop. The car owner was not happy with me and took the tracks skidsteer and picked up the rear of the racecar and drove it right up the ramp door. I figured the door was toast, but didn't even bow it. I was shocked.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration