Lights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Lights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john a sellers on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

what lights are required to make a model t legal
on the road, the local police and BMV are of no help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

In most states (and definitely here in Florida) you must have all the original lights that came on the car in good working order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 02:53 pm:

I anyone happens to know, this might be a good thread for someone to post information about how both of the parent Model "T" clubs (MTFCA & MTFCI) view variations to original factory lights. In other words, in regard to judging standards and such, how do they feel about additions to stock factory lights like additional tail light, brake light(s), turn signal lights, etc.

Personally, my Model "T"s are nowhere near candidates for "judging" anyway, but I think for driving a "T" in today's traffic (and today's society) brake lights and turn signals are a very wise addition,.....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 03:23 pm:

I agree with Harold. I've always believed the "as originally equipped" philosophy goes only so far for a car that's going to be operated on public streets. Brake lights and turn signals are a must in my opinion, whether they're technically required by law or not.

If you're going to trailer your car to events where it will be judged, then that's a different story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

Differs from state to state. Some states will "grandfather" in things such as only one tail light or no seat belts. Other state laws can get more complicated. For instance, not well known in Michigan is a requirement for all cars driven on the highways of the state of Michigan to be equipped with bumpers. There is no "grandfather" clause for not having them! You can be ticketed if you don't have them. When I researched that law when it first came out (in the 90's I think) I learned that there was a provision buried near the end of the law for persuading the judge (if you were before one with a "no bumper" ticket) that if your vehicle was not originally equipped with a bumper, it was an "affirmative defense" and the judge could dismiss the ticket. Problem is, some judges don't know too much and some well meaning police officers know even less. But God bless them, we'd be in one heck of a fix without them. Anyway, that's the way the "bumper law" in Michigan was originally written when it first came out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 07:25 pm:

The MTFCA does not judge cars.

The MTFCI does not deduct for electrified carbide lights or the addition of a brake light in the original tail lamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 08:29 pm:

State of Maryland (last I checked), Virginia and West Virginia, do not require anything additional other than what the car was born at the factory with. Personally, I don't have my T's loaded down with accessory turn signals and brake lights.. but I do add a good sized Magnetic LED flashing light to the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

California requires a stop light.
One is enough.
One taillight is enough.
Doesn't have to be original or period.
CA. also requires an inside mirror and an outside mirror on the left. A horn is also required. Right hand drive cars are required to have an outside mirror on each side, and I think they are also required to have turn signals,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 10:41 pm:

Believe it or not Massachusetts still honors the "grandfather clause", but like California it still requires a brake light. I added brake lights, running lights and blinkers for safety, and it looks just fine. The best part is bringing it in for a State inspection as the guys just scratch their heads because they have no clue what to do..:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin - Huntington Beach, Calif. on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:32 am:

Actually, California does not require a brake light on cars that (1) did not have one originally and (2) are only driven for car shows, club tours, &tc. (events in the public interest.) All cars must have two rear-view mirrors, one being on the driver's left. Turn signals are not required on cars which did not have them originally.

I researched the CA vehicle code for laws affecting antique cars for a club program a few months ago. Turned up some interesting stuff.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration