Transmission bands question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Transmission bands question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 03:13 pm:

After returning from the Poor Boy Tour in Virginia a week ago, I decided to change my oil. When I removed the drain plug I found a split rivet on the plug. I then pulled the inspection cover to see if I could determine where the rivet came from. On one end of the reverse band I could not see the lining and assumed the rivet had come from there. My reverse gear has never been much to brag about. I decided today to pull all 3 bands. This is a 26 coupe. Here is what I found. None of the bands had a rivet missing. Reverse band had the lining set back about 1/8" from the end so I couldn't see it. The brake band was the only one that was not worn down to the rivets. Low and reverse bands had just started polishing the rivets and had left a fine line on their respective drums. The finger nail hardly catches it. I'm new to model T's and first time inside the trans. Needless to say, I'm replacing all 3 bands. Having said all that, is there any other place in the trans that a split rivet could have come from. This is my 3rd oil change since Aug of last year when I purchased the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 03:39 pm:

Nope.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

That's what I like. Short and to the point, Thanks Jack. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

There isn't anywhere else in the transmission where the rivet could have come from, but it is possible it was in there from some time in the past. It is non magnetic, so it will just lay there and possibly be moved by the splashing oil. eventually it landed on the drain plug and that's where you found it. Unlikely to have caused any damage.

The band linings should actually be about 1/8 inch beyond the ends of the bands to prevent the band from rubbing directly on the drum. When you install the new linings start at both ends and work toward the middle pressing the band lining tight against the band. A common mistake for new T mechanics is to start at one end and work toward the other. This will cause the lining to be loose between rivets and it will drag on the drums and the lining doesn't last very long. The linings come from the vendor cut to the right length. Just allow some to overlap the ends and start at both ends and work toward the middle.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 03:56 pm:

If you use Kevlar, preferred in my book, follow the instructions to the letter, just as Norm indicates. They will last years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

Bob - That loose brass rivet you found on the drain plug could be left over from a previous set of bands, and just recently flushed out from where ever it was hiding. Who knows?

You said above that this loose rivet was on the drain plug. This brings up something interesting. Some time ago, some bands came with rivets that were steel and brass plated. Yes, they looked correct, but you don't want steel wear fragments floating in your engine - transmission as they can short out the magnets on the magneto.

Although I think all the vendors are onto this and are only selling 100% brass rivets now, I still always check band rivets with a magnet to be sure they are all brass.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 09:55 pm:

Bob,
The rivets can plug the internal oil line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom, AL on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

Bob- I was behind you on some of those "8 gallon hills" (no lie- some ran out of gas w/8 gals in the tank). At that angle the rivet could have moved from it's resting place to your trans strainer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 10:55 pm:

The split rivets should lay across the band not along it. The rivets lay on the surface of the band material with the ends just curled into it, they are not counter sunk. My understanding is, as the bands wear the rivets are spread out to keep the lining tight. Unless the rivets are the bass plated steel, facing the wrong direction or your linings have gotten real thin, then you should be ok. While the reverse lining does sound a little short, how often do you use the reverse?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Benedict, Humboldt, TN on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:44 am:

The rivet is steel and was stuck to my drain plug via a magnet. I ordered new bands yesterday. Now let's see if I can install them. I learned a lot taking them out. Going in may be easier, I hope. Headed to Huntsville, Alabama today to buy 21" Model A wheels. I love a challenge. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson Salty Bottom, AL on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:28 am:

Maybe I'll run into you somewhere. I'm headed to Huntsville today myself, Bob. Picking up all new glass for the Tudor I'm working on.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration