Safety

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Safety
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:07 am:

Where can I buy the safety triangle sign you hang on the rear of your car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:28 am:

Should be available at any hardware store.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:55 am:

Farm stores

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 01:52 am:

Check your state rules before you put one on. Some states only allow them on tractors or under a certain speed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 05:58 am:

Mark is correct ...

I received a ticket in Iowa for having one on the back of my trailer,

That symbol is reserved for farm vehicles.

I would advise a temporary sign you can use while driving made of conspicuity tape (reflective tape).

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:20 am:

Thanks for the help, after hearing about the guy in Tulsa okla being rearended and killed. Makes me want to get safer, even thou I have signals and brake lits slow as we drive you can`t be to safe!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:35 am:

I have battery powered blinking lights. Magnetic.

Got them at GEMPLER'S They have a web site.Everything you need for the farm and more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:41 am:

After a friend got a ticket for having the triangle on his car he cut a circle out of plywood with brackets to hang on his spare tire while driving. He completely covered the surface of the plywood with this.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-x-30-ft-reflective-tape-red-and-silver-strip es-66068.html
Then went to the local police station and they assured him that it was not illegal,BTW when he went to court the Judge told the officer he should have used a little leeway and just had him remove the triangle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:58 am:

I have been thinking about making a spare tire cover out of fluorescent orange material. Possibly add a couple reflective yellow strips.

Something like this only round.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Conspicuity tape can be used to make a sign like " SLOW VEHICLE " ...

I added extra strips to the back of my enclosed trailer - I do that with all my enclosed trailers.

Nothing reflects better or gets attention better ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 11:26 am:

You could do something like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:17 pm:

I run with a magnetic SMV triangle on the back of the T. It's not legal, but I'd rather have receive a ticket than get run over by a truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:39 pm:

Obtained magnetic signs in red and white that read 'Caution. Slow Moving Vehicle'. They make bright orange too. The triangles are for vehicles under 10 mph in most states. I can run faster than that so use the caution signs. Lots of websites sell em. just Google slow vehicle signs

About 24" x 10" or so. Stick em on the rear of the touring above the spare. Can be seen easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 01:25 pm:

"I have battery powered blinking lights. Magnetic. "

In some areas, (Michigan I believe), this is illegal too. Blinking lights on a non-emergency vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 03:57 pm:

The official slow-moving-vehicle triangles can get you into trouble depending on the locale. _What you need is one of these:

(sorry about the out-off-focus snapshot)

The sign is rubber with a magnetic back, so it comes off easily for car shows and slaps right back on when it's time to go home.

You can find the website that sells them here:

http://www.incolor-inc.com/Caution-Slow-Moving-Vehicle-Decal-Sign-or-Magnetic_p_267.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Bob,

What size sign did you order? I looked at the site and they have several different sizes but yours looks like the right size to purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Perfect size for my T.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OQTFN8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_deta ilpage_o00_s00

Law or no law I've been running my T with one for several years now. Cops haven't bothered me and I feel a lot safer. (I also run a flashing yellow blinker)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

Rick, That man was hit by a drunk. no sign in the world would have helped in that situation.
It really is that simple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

Dennis,

My sign measures eighteen inches across.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 09:48 pm:

Thanks Bob for the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

We don't know the drunk would not have seen it, besides, there are other people not paying close attention that are not drunk.
I would be interested to know how that case turns out in the end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 10:22 pm:

You can get too crazy with lights & stripes too.
War-time military planes are often painted like that, it causes your eyes to jump around when you sight in on that sort of thing.
I like Dale's idea with the orange slip cover for the spare tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

I recall reading some place that the reason they went to the green is because it stands out to more people then the orange. I can see the green at a greater distance away then the orange. Maybe something with alternating strips, green/orange reflective material? My safety vest for bike riding is green for that reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

Pennsylvania discusses the use of the safety triangle in relation to slow moving agricultural equipment and construction equipment under 25 mph only. The code passage gives the specifications for the size and use of the triangle. Pennsylvania has a drivers manual for the use of Horse and Buggy (Horse and Buggy Driver’s Manual, PUB 632 (10-08)). Within the manual this mode of commuting has a safety section with this passage, " They (the triangle) are not expensive and are very easy to replace. The SMV (slow moving vehicle) emblem is required by state law to be displayed from 2-6 feet off the ground on the back of any vehicle traveling less than 25 MPH.

The SMV emblem is most effective when it is flat against the buggy and not tilting. The standard size of a SMV emblem is a 12 inch high orange triangle with a 1 3/4 inches red border."

As for an antique vehicle, there is no apparent use of a safety triangle discussed or recommendations for the use of a triangle on an antique vehicle at or under 25mph. I have adopted the regulations, until challenged, for the horse and buggy - "The SMV (slow moving vehicle) emblem is required by state law to be displayed from 2-6 feet off the ground on the back of any vehicle traveling less than 25 MPH."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rod Barrett - Anderson, IN on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

I bought 2 of these flashing LED lights and put them on the back of my T. I also bought the wireless turn and brake system from the Model T Museum.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HF18A-18-LED-AMBER-MAGNETIC-FLASHING-WARNING-LIGHT-WITH-BATTERIES-DOUBLE-MAGNET-/271424029329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f32220291

Wireless Turn and Brake

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Burkhardt on Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 04:33 pm:

in texas it is illegal to display smv emblem on vehicle DESIGNED to go more than 25 mph. it's my understanding if there's a wreck it's your fault if there's a smv emblem on your vehicle. you might check this out.?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

For details on restrictions of flashing lights in Texas refer to:
FindLawCodes and StatutesTexas StatutesTRANSPORTATION CODETitle 7Subtitle CChapter 547Subchapter DSection 547.305
TEX TN. CODE ANN. § 547.305 : Texas Statutes - Section 547.305: RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS
- See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/TN/7/C/547/D/547.305#sthash.yJtdFZ92.dpuf

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration