Yellowstone & Jackson Wyo. in our '09 'T'

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Yellowstone & Jackson Wyo. in our '09 'T'
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:06 pm:

The National Parks are wonderful places to travel in an open Model T. We managed to hit a lull in the traffic before the 4th of July.

1915 was the first year for private automobiles in Yellowstone Park. My Grandfather was privileged to get permit No. 1 that year. He was Postmaster of West Yellowstone for many years and had some influence. We stopped at Nez Pierce Creek to photograph the copy of his permit which is on display there. There will be a small celebration at the Museum in West Yellowstone on August 1st commemorating the day travel permits were first issued. Any pre '15 cars would be welcome.

We enjoyed a stay at Old Faithful one night. Every where we stopped we met nice folks asking about the Model T and traveling in it. The car survived the pre-tour maintenance. Though all had been working well, I took the carb off to clean it which developed a leak at the sediment bulb valve and a sticking needle. Also, I forgot to replace the nut which holds the rear manifold clamp. The carb problems resolved themselves after a few miles and the manifolds survived with 3 clamps. I also had tuned some coils for it but eventually one cylinder quit firing until I put it's favorite coil back in it's place. Of 8 coils it only has one it likes. Go figure.

All went very well. Many folks complain about the traffic in the Park and the high rates. We pulled over to let what traffic there was by. There were some good pull-outs. Most of the traffic we saw was going the other way. I was really a wonderful vacation for us.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 12:15 pm:

Sounds like a great time, thanks for posting the pictures!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 02:10 pm:

Sure looks like a nice trip. How much time and distance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Thank you for posting the pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 03:43 pm:

That sounds like such a wonderful trip! And that car looks so good.
Thank you for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 03:54 pm:

The car got some dirt on it that doesn't show in the photos. We are only 110 miles from West Yellowstone. It was about 400 total in 5 days. One day was a family reunion so we didn't travel that day. Usually we have enough passengers that we take our 1923 White Tour Bus which was used there for several years. This was our first trip there in this 'T' since we put it together 10 or so years ago. We have had it in Glacier, Jackson and Utah, but not Yellowstone. I am going to try to get our 1915 Roadster together for the August celebration.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Budreau on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 02:19 pm:

I was lucky enough to bump into Rich outside the Old Faithful Inn during my family vacation. Great looking T! Wish we were able to chat more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, July 06, 2015 - 02:30 pm:

Does that thing have WiFi ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Bracknell United Kingdom on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

I would love to have a luggage rack on our 09. Any chance of a detail photo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs on Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 08:58 pm:

Richard,
Sounds like a great trip!
If you have not already seen it you may want to see if you can find a reshowing of the PBS special Paving the Way. The story of the national park to park highway. Below is a link to the trailer.
https://vimeo.com/1536178

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:36 am:

It was nice to meet Chad on vacation.
We have seen segments of the PBS special. Very nice old film of the Parks and old vehicles.

The luggage rack is not very photogenic. I took some better pictures a year or so but can't find them.

I made the rack out of 1 x 1 x 1/8 angle and 1 x 1/8 flat bar. I use separate straps for the up and down positions. I may build a 2 piece hinge, but worry about the rack bouncing.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

I'm happy to report that we did make our 1915 Runabout ready and drove it to West Yellowstone for the 100th Anniversary of Automobiles in the Park. It was a small celebration. Historian Bruce Gourley gave a wonderful talk "Experiencing Yellowstone 100 Years Ago; Two Spare Tires, a Roadside Bandit, and the Good Bears". My T and a '33 Buick were the only vehicles showing up. We let several dozen Youngsters and Oldsters climb in the car and honk the horn. I hope some of them enjoyed it as much as I have in my younger days.

It was well worth the 4 weeks to revive the Runabout from storage. Oil leaks attended to, bearings tightened, and a lot of general maintenance after resting for a dozen years or more. The 140 mile trip each way was invigorating including 30 miles of it in Tourist traffic. The only problem we encountered was that the ethanol we bought attacked the 30 year old gas tank sealer. We spent the last hour or so driving, threading the needle valve up and down to clear and let extra gas through. It would run at speed screwed about 8 turns out and then stall until screwed all the way down to clear the gunk. The 95 degree weather also may have been contributing to the problem. All in all it was a wonderful 3 days.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 02:25 pm:

That's a mighty spiffy chariot. I bet Mike Walker likes it as much as I do. :-)
That's quite a picture window in the back, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:06 pm:

Richard,
Thanks for the post. I would say you and the T were the guests of honor. The portico on the front of the depot isn't open to just any car!!
Great looking car, a bucket list item for sure,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Steve, I had been envious of you guys with running Runabouts while mine was resting. They are a great car. The "not quite right", for that year, roll up window sure is nice in the heat.

Kevin, I was honored to park in that drive through where all those big Buses used to live. Folks up there treated me Royally.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 05:30 pm:

I am very glad to see your '15 runabout back on the road! they are great looking cars. I can hardly wait to get mine looking half that good.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 11:51 pm:

I was sorry to hear about the park tour too late. We would have loved to participate. I read about interesting tours and it seems they are not well enough advertised and we are missing out on some fun touring.

Rich I would have to tagged along for some lazy touring in a very historic place. We are just looking for an excuse to roll the old '12 touring out.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 07:14 am:

Richard,

It looks like you have not only been having some great times with your cars, but you have also been doing some great publicity for our hobby! Thank you for being such a great ambassador.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 08:45 am:

Wayne, I am looking forward to seeing the progress on your Runabout. I'm sure it will be great.

Howard, we were on our own. We would love to have had your company. Putting on a Tour in Yellowstone is difficult because of the traffic and room costs. We find it doable for us but a challenge. We have been lucky to hit low traffic levels but still pull over a lot.

Hap, Thank you. I have learned to be more patient with people. The stories we hear are wonderful and we meet a lot of great people when we take the cars out. Most of us do show a positive image of the hobby when we show our cars.

Rich

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration